Now that summer is upon us, hello 90+ degree Arkansas days, Adam and I have to think about Truckee a little differently. We can’t just take her out to play at noon on a hot sunny day without thinking about our game plan first. She’s a big girl, and unlike us, she also carries with her a thick, BLACK coat of fur that is anything but cool in the heat.
It’s no secret that Truckee will always be our “first born.” We seriously love that doofy dog so much, and want to make sure we don’t forget about her needs as well as our own. We love including her in our summer activities, and anything we can do to help take the edge off the heat is a must!
Let’s take a walk down memory lane and remember a few of Truckee’s favorite summer moments thus far. Activities such as swimming, running, bumper toss, and hiking are always at the top of her priority list.
1. Truckee swimming in the pool for the first time. Her take away? Her butt is WAY heavier wet than dry.
2. Bumper toss. In the summer. She lasted all of 5 minutes.
3. Sunset run. Less hot, but that tongue says it all.
4. Hiking up Pinnacle Mountain.
5. We didn’t actually make it to the top…
6. Playing at the river with my family. She loved exploring the creek!
7. Her first time swimming in the river, upon which we discovered she is actually a dolphin who can hold her breathe for way too long.
As a contributing author on mode.com, I rounded up a handful of products that I so wish we had invested in earlier on! Hopefully this list helps you and your dog have a cooler, easier, and more fun summer!
Ah, the sign of a successful summer day!
How do you help your dog enjoy summer more? How do you keep them cool? Is your dog a water dog?