Double digits! I knew this would be the fastest year of my life, and here we are, just like that! 10 months into our sweet son’s life and I love him more and more every single day. He’s a needy little booger, and a tough cookie at times, but he’s the sweetest snuggler, loves his mama fiercely, and is the funniest little dude. It’s been so much fun seeing his personality really come out, and he and Adeline are so cute when they “play” together. Their relationship is growing closer by the day and I love it so much! She calls him Chunky Monkey now on a regular basis and it cracks me up because I know she only does that because she’s heard me say it so many times! Speaking of – he is definitely a chunky monkey and I could still just eat him up. I know I say that every single month, but it’s true – his thighs and his tummy rolls are just too much. He really is the sweetest little guy, and I can’t imagine our life without him.
I could go on and on about how much I love him and how cute he is, but let’s just get straight to his update. It’s been a big month it feels like, so lots of firsts!
For fun reference, here’s a look back at Adeline’s 10 month update. It’s hard not to want to compare the two, but I keep reminding myself that they are totally different babies. (Oh so different!)
I’m not sure what he weighs at this exact moment, but last month he was 20 lbs 1 oz so if I had to guess, I would say maybe he’s up to 21 lbs? He’s heavy, that’s for sure, and I can only hold him for so long before my arms start to hurt!
He’s still rocking pretty much 9 month or 12 month clothing. Most of his clothing is now 12 months, but he can still squeeze into a few 9 month pairs of jammies and shorts. Oh, and we’ve moved up to size 4 diapers!
- Very similar to last month, plus…
- Pulling up to everything
- Standing for short seconds
- Crawling and climbing into my lap and literally into and onto everything he possibly can
- Falling and hitting his head on everything. I swear this boy is like a wrecking ball! He’s already giving me a run for my money!
- Swimming! Splashing in the pool!
- Sitting in the bathtub like a big boy and taking baths with big sis
- Being doted on by the ladies in the nursery at church – everyone loves him!
- Smiling and giggling
- Crawling around with either corn cobs or his ketchup/mustard bottle in both hands
- Climbing up the step in the playroom
- Standing up at Adeline’s kitchen
- Banging pots and pans
- Just being loud in general
- Babbling and making noises
- His paci – the boy LOVES his paci and will snatch it up fast!
- Still loves being tickled by Daddy and when Daddy pays him extra special attention
- Still loves power cables and cords and we constantly have to move them out of the way and cover up our outlets
- Sleeping in his own bed (the last week of month 9 at last!)
- Sleeping in two piece jammies
- Drinking water from his sippy cup! Still somewhat getting the hang of it but I think he’s for sure getting water out at this point and is enjoying it, especially at meals!
- Playing in Truckee’s water bowl
- Sleeping – sleep was rough this month, oh so rough, but it got better actually after we got home from our TN trip and has been decent ever since
- Being in his carseat
- Getting too hot
- Noises that are too loud or intense
- Getting overtired or being held when he’s tired and just wants to lay down
- When Mommy leaves – going through some separation anxiety right now I think
- Having a cold and/or teething – he’s been drooling like crazy and fighting a cold for what feels like on and off for the past month
- Having his diaper changed. It’s like wrestling an alligator!! SO difficult! Multiple times I’ve had to get Adam to do it – this kid is STRONG!
- Having his nose wiped
- Sitting in his carseat at a restaurant when he’d rather be sitting in a highchair
- When Mommy walks in from being gone – he’ll be fine the whole time I’m gone and then as soon as I get back home or come pick him up he just melts down and starts crying! It’s kind of hilarious, and sweet, but also so sad!
- When he wants FOOD and he wants FOOD NOW!
- Being made to sit in the highchair when he’s just honestly over it.
- Non-sensitive formula
- When he’s being ignored – he just wants attention!
- Not having teeth, still! He’s been living on Motrin some days because we keep thinking he’s teething but still nothing yet!
- When we take something away from him
- Nursing for more than a few minutes. He’s really hardly nursing as much as he was!
- When his gums hurt, which must be all the time because he’s constantly trying to soothe them.
Again, our routine really hasn’t changed since last month, so because I’m honestly just so tired of not sleeping well the past 10 months now, I’ll just link it HERE for you to reference! HA!
Maybe the only part of our routine that’s changed has to do with how much he’s nursing vs. taking more bottles, even some formula bottles now. But timing wise, he’s still doing 2 good naps a day, usually around 2 hours each. And he still goes to bed between 7 – 8 PM most nights and wakes up around 7:30 AM or so. There were several days where he was waking up around 6 AM, but I’m hoping we’re past that! Nighttime sleep, like I mentioned above, has really just continued to be a struggle. He goes in waves it seems, which is what’s go exhausting. He’ll have a couple great weeks, then go back to waking up 1-3 times a night. Then he’ll go back to having a great week, then back to waking up. We’ve just gone back to basically letting him cry it out at night, and even will just turn the monitor off some nights. I’m trying to get away from nursing him at night, but I’ll still nurse him on occasion in the middle of the night because frankly, it’s just easier. If he wakes up, I’d say most often it’s either once before midnight, or sometime early in the morning, like 2 or 3 AM. And honestly, it’s changed every month – which is why I’m so exhausted and am hoping once he hits a year things will finally level out.
- First airplane ride
- First trip to Franklin
- First Mother’s Day with Mommy (accidentally had this on last month’s update!)
- First time meeting my grandmother
- First sippy cup (just like with A, he likes one by NUK)
- First time wearing two piece jammies
- First time standing for a few seconds
- First time crawling crazy fast
- First time pulling up on everything
- First time laughing and being silly we think on purpose
- First time eating meat of any kind
- First time in a pool
- First time being put to bed by someone other than Mommy or Daddy
- First time meeting Henry and Sutton
- First time having formula (about a week before he turned 10 months old)
- First Summer Spectacular (VBS!)
This has been a big month when it comes to eating! Within the past month, I’d say his interest in nursing has really dwindled, partly because he’s just too distracted to nurse for very long, if at all, and partly because he’s now just so much MORE interested in real food! I too, have really been slowing down on the nursing thing and have for the most part stopped pumping anymore to make up for missed feedings, and am just kind of letting it go slowly. I still have quite a bit of milk in the freezer still, so we’re still working through that. My supply has definitely slowed down drastically, and honestly, I’m just about ready to wean him from daytime feeds and am kind of doing that right now anyways. At this point, he’ll be a year soon and needing whole milk soon so I really have no desire to try to get my big supply back. (Maybe desire is a strong word – let’s go with energy!) He’ll nurse in the morning, and sometimes he’ll nurse at bedtime, but over the past 2-3 weeks, he’s been doing bottles mostly throughout the day to make sure he’s actually getting full! If he wakes up in the middle of the night, I’ll usually nurse him quickly, but other than that, we’re transitioning to bottles mostly and of course real food.
Bottles wise, we’re basically floating between breast milk bottles and formula bottles. We’re trying to work through my freezer stash first (so thankful for that!), but formula has really just been so easy, and such a weight lifted off my shoulders. Barrett has been doing fine with it, and I think it’s been helping me to know that he’s for sure filling up, and getting enough to eat without me having to worry about keeping my supply up. We started trying formula for the first time when we were in TN to see if it would help him sleep and I think it did actually help him a little bit. At some point, I plan to do a bigger post on all things breastfeeding the second time around, so stay tuned for that! (When I look back at my notes on Adeline, we started supplementing with formula right around 10.5 months with her, so I’m not totally shocked that right around 10 months with B was yet again the magic number!)
Solids and food wise – we’ll give him a little of whatever we’re having at pretty much every meal, but he still has his tried and true favorites. Things like pancakes, eggs, mum mums, puffs, yogurt, yogurt bites, puree pouches, bananas, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, refried beans, are still high on his list. He had salmon for the first time this month, as well as deli-chicken which he absolutely devoured at my parent’s house!
Little Things I Want to Always Remember
- How he loves me the most!
- When he and Adeline play on the floor together
- How she calls him Chunky Monkey
- How she comes into his room every night to kiss him and hug him goodnight
- When he plays with his toy remote in the car and it sounds like he’s channel surfing
- Our entire TN trip to see my family
- How stinkin’ cute he is in two piece jammies
- When I go into his room in the morning and he’s standing up smiling
- How he throws his pacis out of his crib – totally not funny, but worth remembering! That little toot!
- How big he is!!!
- His hair – sometimes I think it looks auburn or strawberry blonde depending on the light.
- His buns. Baby buns are the best!
- How he still loves his ketchup/mustard bottles, hamburger bun, toy remote, corn cobs, and little picture flap barnyard book
- How he looks like a little old pan in his pool hat
- Spending evenings in the backyard on a quilt with he and Adeline
- How he lays on his tummy and straddles me when he cuddles in the glider
- When Daddy tickles his back and he just falls over in laughter
- How he “mmmm’s” himself to sleep if he’s tired in the car. I can always tell he’s trying to fall asleep and it’s so sweet.
We love you, Bear!