I can’t believe Adeline is 3 months old. I’ve said that every time, but now I really can’t believe it. This time it makes me a little more sad because with turning 3 months, comes the end of my maternity leave, and the end of Adeline feeling “brand new.” By now, it feels like Adeline has been a part of our family forever, and we’re getting settled into a new routine. It’s also about the time when it’s easier to start keeping track of her age by months, instead of weeks! She’s a sturdy little booger, and feels more and more like a tiny person with a fun little personality all her own.
We don’t go back to the pediatrician until her 4 month well check, so I’m not positive what her current percentiles are. We are actually going to the pediatrician tomorrow though to check on her acid reflux, and see what the next step should be, so she’ll be weighed then. I would imagine she’s somewhere in the 13-15lb range. Either way, she’s growing like crazy, plumping up, and giving her mama an arm workout! I’m pretty sure her carseat weighs 1,000 lbs.
**Update 1/26: She weighed 13 lbs 12 oz at the pediatrician yesterday, putting her in the 89th percentile!
She is wearing 3 month clothes, almost exclusively! She’s got maybe a few 0-3 month things that still fit, but for the most part those are too short. Her diapers are still size 1, and we’ve been using nighttime diapers at bedtime. She’s worn shoes two times now, but both times they fell off her feet, or she kicks them right off. I know she’s going to have narrow feet like mine, poor thing!
- Sleeping in both her crib and the Rock n Play
- Her HALO sleep sack swaddle, sometimes just the sleep sack
- Napping in our arms in the glider
- Having her back/bottom patted
- Kicking her arms and legs. We both think she’s going to be a soccer player!
- Sitting in my lap and looking around at whatever is going on
- Looking at books, but only for a very short amount of time
- Her piano play mat is still a big hit
- Having her picture taken, I think. She’s done great for all the photos I’ve taken of her! But, she hasn’t quite learned to smile at the camera!
- Being lotioned after bath time, kind of. She used to scream, but now she doesn’t seem to mind as much.
- When you pinch her thighs and tickle her…she’s slowly discovering her ticklish spots!
- Socks, she always finds a way to kick them off
- Riding in her car seat if the car is stopped
- An extra long church service…she can’t quite make it all the way through on a regular basis
- Getting too hot or too cold
- Loud sudden noises, like the ice maker or hair dryer first turning on
- Being gassy
- Her acid reflux. Still having her “choking” episodes, and spitting up a lot through her nose.
- Tummy time if she’s too tired
- If she has to burp
- Having her legs covered in the swing or bouncer. She’ll find a way to kick her blanket off every time!
- Being overstimulated, she’s still good about letting me know when she’s ready to go down for a nap.
- Hearing other babies scream or cry loudly (she’s going to have to get used to this I’m afraid!)
Our routine, as of this week, looks a lot different than it did earlier this month. For the majority of this month, our tine went mostly like this: wake up between 5:30 am – 6:30 am, nurse, go back down and sleep until 9:00, nurse sometime around 9:00 or 9:30, playtime, nap from about 10:30 – noon (though she’d usually fight this nap, and sometimes it would end up being super short and I’d bring her back up front and put her in the swing), nurse around noon or 12:30, playtime or take a walk/run errands, go back down for a nap around 1:30 or 2:00, wake up and nurse around 3:00 or 3:30, then usually immediately take her third nap until 5:00 or 5:30, nurse around 6:00, then bath time around 7:30, nurse again around 8:00, down for the night around 9:00. So basically I had her on a 6-9-12-3 schedule, or within 30 minutes or so of either side.
But now that she’s in daycare, and she’s stretching her feedings a bit longer, our routine looks slightly different. I’m a little disheartened at the fact that I worked so hard to establish a good routine for the past 12 weeks only to have it basically turned upside down, but I think Adeline had a great foundation and I’m okay with that. Our new routine looks more like: I wake up at 5:45 am, shower and get (mostly) ready, wake up Adeline around 6:15, nurse her and get her ready, then put her in the rock n play while I finish getting ready, then out the door by 7:15 am at the latest. (Hopefully we can make it out the door closer to 7:00 this next week!) Drop off Adam at his building, then I take Adeline down to daycare and drop her off, usually right at 8:00 am. Then I am usually in my office by 8:15. (Actually, that’s a lie, I was totally way late every day last week. But 8:15 is my goal!) Ok so then basically I work 8:30-5, and I’ve been pumping 3 times, usually 10, 1, and 4. I wanted to keep it at 9-12-3, but I’m usually just too busy to pump right after I get in, so it usually gets pushed back closer to 10. I’ve been having daycare try to give her her bottles as close to 9-12-3 as they can, but lately she’s been going longer between feedings so she’s also landing more like 10-1-4. We pick her up right at 5, and are usually home between 5:30-5:45. She’s been sleeping on the way home, and napping for a little bit when we get home. Then bath time closer to 7:00 and down for the night closer to 8:00.
Our sleeping routine is still about the same. Most nights she sleeps from 8:30/9:00 pm ish to 5:30/6:00 am ish, and some nights she wakes up at 3:00 am either hungry, or just awake enough to move around a little. She seems to prefer a 9:00 pm bedtime, but lately I’ve been really trying to bump it up to 8:00. We’ve been very blessed with a good sleeper so far, and getting stretches of 7-8 hours has been amazing. We definitely have our fair share of rough nights, but overall, we can *currently* count on her sleeping through the night. (Knock on wood!)
- Road trip to Texas
- First overnight spent away from home (Christmas in TX)
- First time smiling during bathtime
- First time nursing in a public place, Panera and Chick Fil A
- First snow
- First blowout in a public place
- First time away from mommy, being babysat by Adam for several hours
- First time to really smile big and on purpose at other people
- First time rolling from tummy to back (11 weeks), though she hasn’t done it much since 12 weeks
- First time holding her head up during tummy time for long stretches, and enjoying it
- First time jogging with mommy
- First time teething, we think…she’s been really drooly and spitting bubbles
Adeline is still a good eater. Her nursing sessions are usually about 30 minutes, though I’m still guilty of letting her go 45 minutes at night sometimes. She’s gotten to where she will really let me know if she’s NOT hungry, and she will cry and cry and refuse to latch on if she isn’t hungry enough. When she gets a bottle, it’s 4-4.25 ounces, and she usually takes it all. At daycare, she gets 3 of these.
Little Things I Want to Always Remember
- Our afternoon snuggles during nap time, letting her take her third nap with me on the couch
- Her BIG smiles
- Her piano play may high kicks. She’ll throw her leg back as far as she can so she can kick the little hanging toys and it’s the funniest thing ever.
- How when you pick her up from her car seat, she keeps her legs crossed like she’s still stuck in that position
- How long her eyelashes have gotten
- Her little old lady face she makes when she’s done eating right before she passes out
- The noises she makes when she’s sleeping
- The way her hair smells
- Her pouty lip…she already has it perfected
- Semi-grasping small things, though it’s probably not quite on purpose yet
- Napping with her pants off
- Her thighs!!!!!!!!!
- When she misses a sneeze, can’t quite get it out
- Her sneeze-farts
- When she stretches her legs out as long as she can and points her feet outward like a penguin
- The way she smiles at Adam
- Her dimple
- How chatty she is after a bath when I’m drying her off
- When she nurses in just her diaper and I look down and her little legs are crossed
We love our sweet girl so much!!