Hi friends! After a WEEK, I repeat, a WEEK of being out of the groove and having commitments every night after work, I FINALLY can get back in the swing of things and get my run on tonight!
I’m. So. Excited. So is my new Garmin!
Truckee will also be excited, even though she’s a big fat baby when it comes to running in the heat. It’s not like she’s wearing a thick black fur coat or anything. Suck it up! Only kidding. Don’t worry, she gets plenty of water breaks! Or she just stops and sits in the middle of the road. It’s a sight seeing me trying to pull a 70lb dog up off her rump.
So since it’s Fitness Friday over at Running Bloggers, I thought I’d make a list of some random fitness-y things that are on my mind! I like lists because they are straight to the point, and easy to read. You’re welcome!!
1. My marathon training plan will commence on August 3rd. I plan on “following” the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Marathon Training Program. 8/3 will be exactly 18 weeks out from the marathon! AKA Doomsday. It’s also 12 weeks out from my 5th half marathon, which means I will be even more prepared for this half than usual! Typically I only give myself 2-2 1/2 good solid months of training, if that!, but this time I’ll have 3 under my belt. I’ll for sure be trying to sub-2 hour it, but I don’t want to push too hard and God-forbid injure myself mid marathon training! My current PR is 2:05, so I think I can do it 🙂 I’m hoping to post my training plan soon, once I make it cute! (It adds motivation, duh!)
2. Oatmeal Energy Balls. When we were in college, Adam used to make these and store them in the fridge. I really want to make another big batch and keep them for a cool treat before or after these hot summer runs!
I grabbed this picture off the super cute foodie blog, Gimme Some Oven. Being a photographer, I know it’s always important to credit your source! I actually googled “energy ball bites” for a quick picture, and saw these in that cute Anthropologie(maybe?) bowl and then continued on to their blog! (I have way too many of those bowls and must admit that I clicked on the image because 1. those energy balls look delicious and 2. they’re staged in a cute bowl- way to hit the marketing nail on the head!) Now their blog is on my bookmark list! Very, very cute! The recipe is on the above link if you want to check them out. For Adam’s version, he also uses: oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chips, honey, flaxseed, vanilla, and coconut flakes. I don’t think he ever puts chia seeds, but I’m sure that would add some great flavor and nutrition! I’m itching to make these again, and probably shouldn’t have been browsing a food blog right before lunch time!
side note: the ladies over at Gimme Some Oven wrote a post about blogging that I’m sure you will appreciate as well!
3. Homemade granola. My father in law makes a big batch of it for breakfast, and it is de-licious. I keep forgetting to ask him for the recipe so hopefully we’ll get that soon!! I LOVE granola. It’s healthy, not too heavy on your stomach, and is like instant energy that sticks with you! Plus, there are so many varieties that it doesn’t get old!
4. Run/walk Truckee every day! Even if just for a few minutes. I looked up some research on why big dogs needs exercise, and these were the main points I found. Pretty much common sense.
-Exercise helps cut down on destruction. Praise!
-Dogs need mental stimulation just like humans do. No doubt Truckee gets bored to death laying in her kennel all day!
-Exercising your dog every day can add as much as 2 years onto their life! Yes please!
-Allowing your dog to run and walk lifts their spirits! Exercise sure makes ME happy, so it only makes sense that it will make my pup happy too!
-Exercising your dog helps them stay up on their training and allows them to be social butterflys. We all know what a social
diva butterfly the Truckle Sauce is.
-Exercising your dog gives YOU exercise. Double whammy.
5. Get back to working on 8 minute miles. It still feels really fast to me, but maybe it’s a mental road block. I know after taking this whole week off I’m going to feel the burn next time I hop on the TM, but I still REALLY want to sub-24 my next 5K, and the clock is ticking! My next race is June 29!
6. Work on my posture!!! I know I know, you’d think the daughter of a chiropractor would have it down pat by now. But the chair that I’ve been sitting in at work the past week has been terrible! It’s too big for me, isn’t at the right level for my computer, the seat bottom tilts down slightly, and the back has no support. I feel like the hunchback of notre dam sitting at my desk. I need to go seek out another chair…maybe the person I’m filling in for won’t notice. I’m sure they’d appreciate it too.
This is about how I feel when 4:30 rolls around. Al-m-ost-there.
7. Cross train more. When we first moved here we rode our bikes ALL THE TIME, and it was awesome! Then, we bought the house…and our bikes, not surprisingly, got pushed to the back of the garage. Adam’s needs some work done, and I haven’t even touched mine. I miss the workout we got from riding. We could go miles and miles and miles without thinking about it, but our legs got a GREAT workout! I also am dying to swim more! There is a huge community pool probably a quarter mile from our house and I am bound and determined to hop in at least once this summer. I miss the days of lifeguarding when I could swim all day, any day, free of charge. And you want to talk about a full body workout? Swimming laps will whip you into shape in no time! Plus, it’s so gentle on your joints. It’s a nice change of pressure for your knees that are used to pounding the pavement.
So here’s to acting on these random thoughts! Happy Friday! I’ll probably be back tonight or tomorrow. It’s Homemade Pizza Night at our house, yumm!
Have a random fitness thought today? I think I’m excited most about incorporating swimming! Fingers crossed this community pool has some time set aside for lap swimmers!
p.s. I remember hearing about StrideBox a while ago but forgot about it, but now I’m anxious to sign up! What an awesome deal! Check it out!