Sunday night I was talking to a friend of mine, and she said, “How was your weekend? I stalked you on Instagram and it looked like you just had a fabulous and perfect weekend!”
I chuckled a little, and agreed that yes my weekend was indeed great, but also thought, “oh the power of Instagram…”
It made me think about one of my favorite quotes, “Comparison is the thief of joy,” and how comparing our lives to one another through social media can suck the life right out of you!
I wanted to make a point that Instagram is a funny thing. You can share a teeny, tiny, moment, a brief snippet into what you’re doing, and all of your followers are left to imagine just how fantastic that moment was, and wish they’d had a similar one themselves. Am I right? We only share the best, the happiest, the most fun, the brag, the biggest, the proudest, the most exciting, the cutest, and the prettiest. Why would we share anything else? An Instagram picture is a 640px X 640px glimpse into one moment in time, and nobody has to know what’s really going on outside of those dimensions, because that would make things less glamorous, and perfect.
So, remember that while you’re scrolling through your social media accounts, and especially Instagram, one picture doesn’t tell the whole story. It only tells what the user wants you to see, and wants you to assume. Be cautious about judging, comparing, and wishing your feed looked like their feed. You don’t know what was going on when the picture was taken, and you’re wasting your time wishing you did.
Take Instagram with a grain of salt.
Let’s play a game…here are some of my previous Instagram photos, and what was really going on when I took the picture!
1. A sweet man who was with his family took this photo for us. At least three times. We may have held up everyone else at the top of the mountain so I could get a good picture. Guilty.
2. When I took this, I was simultaneously yelling at the neighbor’s dogs through the window to stop barking. Which they do 24/7.
3. Two days after I took this photo, she chewed off a corner of the rug. And a day after that, she threw up all over it. Needless to say we don’t have this cute rug anymore!
4. Lacrosse at the park with Truckee was a one time deal. 30 minutes after I instagrammed this, a cop drove by and yelled at us for having her off the leash.
5. I never actually ran this. The morning of the race it was monsooning rain and cold, and I didn’t want to walk to the start in the rain. We were living downtown at the time.
6. There were like 10 people in my age group 🙂 Still fun though. But maybe not all that impressive haha
7. This was taken outside of Wal-Mart. Enough said.
8. I was so sick this Valentine’s Day. I went to bed as soon as I got home from work and didn’t get to enjoy my chocolates until a few days later!
9. I was with my husband and in-laws at the Farmer’s Market, but you wouldn’t know I had a TERRIBLE rash/allergic reaction all over my legs and feet, and had to leave the market early to go to the walk-in clinic.
10. We had a ridiculous, petty argument about an hour before he gave this to me. We resolved it, but I still felt bad.
11. I probably took about 20 of these on my phone before getting a cute one. All the while Adam was trying to concentrate on driving.
12. We only made it half way up Pinnacle this time, Truckee was so hot and so tired that I had to turn around and take her back to the car to cool off. She sure looks like a mountain dog though!
13. Two minutes after I took this, the burlap “I” fell on the ground, two days later the gold “I” fell off and broke, and the wood “I” is still missing to this day.
14. At the City Museum in St. Louis – Adam cut his hand bad while we were outside climbing through all of these tunnels and we had to go inside and hunt down the first aid people. It was fun while it lasted 🙂
15. It took about 8 adults behind us to get the kiddos to smile! Cute group photos like this don’t happen often!
16. We stopped at Whataburger in FL on our way to the airport on the last day of our beach trip. I was looking down trying to conceal the fact that I was about to cry because I was so sad to be leaving my family early! I’m such a sap, I know!
17. It may look like we had a fun time running this race, but it was terrible. The temperature plummeted throughout the race, it was raining, windy, and to make things worse, we got a flat tire on the way to the race, about 30 minutes before we had to be at the starting line. We both ended up being sick later this day!
18. Right before I took this, Truckee humiliated me by having one of her freak out spells, jumping on me, and trying to bite at her leash, in front of a bunch of people in the parking lot behind me. I finally got her to sit and be still for two seconds.
See, there’s always a fun back-story to every photo 🙂
What fun stories do you have from some of your Insta-photos that no one would know?