Whew, it’s Friday! We made it! And you know what, I’d call it a very successful week. Let me just pat myself on the back real quick because guess what…I made it to the gym all three times, and kicked some serious booty each workout. I think making a goal that’s realistic has made such a big difference in actually sticking to my new gym regimen, and granting myself much more grace than I ever did pre-baby. (Also, having a spouse who now makes working out a priority has been a huge motivator!) If there’s one thing my mind, mood, and emotions need during the week it’s a workout, and I think aiming to hit the gym 3 times a week is perfectly do-able. For right now.
I already recapped my first workout of the week, so I needed to hop on and recap Tuesday and Wednesday’s. Both nights I headed to the gym once Adeline was down for the night, and enjoyed the “late night” me time. My biggest mission this week was to start strength training again – something that always intimidates me and isn’t necessarily my favorite thing. I think being a runner (and a busy mom!), I always feel like my limited time is better spent doing cardio, but wow – after only doing weights for two days I’m reminded of how much of a difference being strong all the way around makes! Also I’m already sore, but we won’t talk about that. I love feeling strong, but goodness, after feeling not strong for two years now, it’s been a kick in the butt to use my body in new ways! (Don’t get me wrong, giving birth and being a mom makes me feel stronger than super woman!)
Tuesday night’s workout:
- 7.5 miles on the bike
- 30 minutes of weight machines including: lat bar pull downs, row machine, seated leg press, seated leg curls, lying leg curls (aka the butt lift machine), and roman chair knee raises (aka the ab torturer)
- 2 minutes alternating box step-ups (the box that’s about knee high)
Wednesday night’s workout:
- 4 miles – sprint intervals, (half mile sprints, and .35 mile sprints, alternating, but always increasing in speed), started at 9:30 pace and worked my way down to 8:27 pace for final sprint
- 30 minutes of weight machines – lat bar pull downs, row machine, seated leg press, lying leg curls, chest press
- 2 minutes alternating box step-ups
- 2 sets of bosu ball squats
- 1 pathetic attempt at a plank using the bosu ball that lasted all of 10 seconds (ha!)
Both workouts were booty burning and super sweaty, and left me feeling proud of myself. I am determined to be a strong mom for Adeline, and by taking better care of myself I can take better care of her. She’s too young to understand what being strong and fit means, but one day I hope I’ll be a good example for her. It’s taken a year, actually two, to finally, finally, finally feel like myself again so even though I want to be back into the shape I was before I had her, I know it’s going to be a journey! And, I’m accepting that some things will just never be the same, and that’s ok. Like my abs. They will probably always be a bowl of jello. At least until we’re done having kids. I don’t want my “pre-baby” body back because THIS body performed a miracle and accomplished one of the greatest feats there is! But what I do want to get back is my speed, endurance, and muscle tone – all of which will just take time.
Happy Friday friends! Have a great weekend!
What machines do you like to use at the gym? What body weight exercises are your favorite?