I’d like to think I’m a pretty organized person. Well, organized in certain areas at least! At the start of every year I vow to “be organized” and I make these grand plans in my head of how I’m going to do just that. But then a month or two passes and I’m back on the mostly-organized-but-not-really bus. This year though, is going to be different! And I’m actually documenting how I’m planning to get organized, in hopes that writing it down in detail will help me stick with it.
I’m breaking it all down into categories, mainly for my own sake. So, here we go!
- Finish her 19-24 month photo book, and finally order both it and her 13-18 month book, store with others
- On the last Sunday of every month, upload favorite photos into Shutterfly and Google Photos from phone, or laptop into appropriate folders
- Start a 2018 family photo book (I’ll have 2 years of Adeline photo books already completed!)
- Back up ALL photos on current MacBook onto new 2TB external HD, label, and store in safe (sooner or later this macbook is going to bite the dust and I want to be triple certain I have all her photos backed up in multiple places!)
- Pack up all her clothes that no longer fit, label all her clothes boxes, and put up in the attic (this is mostly already done, but I’m about 2 months behind)
- Put 2016-2017 artwork into her tub, label, store
- Set up small bookshelf by Adeline’s kitchen for her kitchen appliances and dishes, start weeding out her “baby” toys and keep in separate bin, regularly switch out her playroom books and bedroom books so she isn’t bored
- Regularly de-clutter Adeline’s toy boxes under TV in living room and move “old” toys to playroom
- Stock up on laundry supplies in laundry room, organize bins on top shelf
- Use family google calendar to track events, assign a color for each family member, also copy them all over onto calendar in kitchen for quick reference
- Get large acid free photo storage box to store loose photos still in folders from the move
- Get another shelving unit for garage to store baby gear
- Buy fire escape ladder to keep upstairs
- Label all holiday boxes more clearly, store in closet or attic strategically
- Make emergency get out bag to keep in closet under stairs (water, flashlight, batteries, blankets, extra clothes, etc.)
- Create cleaning schedule to keep on side of fridge – swiffer day, vacuum day, wipe off surfaces, etc
- Purchase a cheap scanner and scan into family computer all of our most important documents (currently in a safe, but a digital version would be nice too!)
- Simplify our closets/wardrobes – donate things we don’t ‘need’
- Buy plastic box to put all medications/drugs above microwave into so they’re not just all over the cabinet
Blog & Work:
- Schedule blog post ideas on calendar ahead of time
- Assign Adam a 2-3x/month posting schedule
- Respond to any comments before publishing a new post
- Back up any client photos not already in Smugmug
- Work from desk in upstairs office every morning (before inevitably migrating to the kitchen or couch)
- Get fresh pens and notepad to keep on desk
This is going to be an ongoing list, and project, but I think this is a healthy start for the new year. One thing I’m not doing in my quest for organization though is stressing about perfection. I’m not stressing over 5 posts a week, Instagram perfect photos, or reading this blog or that. I’m going with the flow, and getting back to the good ‘ole days when blogging was a source a joy. Same with my personal life – I’m determined to soak up this next year, and not let it pass me by too quickly. I want to unplug more, while still finding that balance between my digital life and real life.
2018 – I’m coming for you, and I vow to be more organized (and less stressed!) than ever!
How are you getting organized in 2018? Are you focusing on organizing photos, clothes, tasks, your life in general?