I wanted to share a recipe that we’ve dug back up and have fallen back in love with. Our Open Face Enchiladas are just about my favorite thing we make, and by we I mean me, because Adam practically begs me to make these! They are the perfect comfort food on a cold winter night, and are completely impossible to mess up. I’ve been making these for a few years now, but while I was breastfeeding Adeline I had to majorly cut back on dairy which sadly meant my Open Face Enchiladas were off the menu. Now that we’ve been reunited, I thought I’d pop back in and give them another moment in the spotlight.
Here’s what you’ll need to whip up these bad boys:
- Corn tortillas
- Nacho/taco cheese
- Green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 can of diced green chiles
- Salsa of choice (we like Mrs Renfro’s Mango Habanero)
- 1 diced roma tomato
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced avocado
- Black beans
- Sour cream
- Cook your tortillas one by one in butter in a skillet until slightly crispy – while they’re cooking, sprinkle cheese on each so the cheese will melt while the tortillas cook. You’ll be stacking 3 cheesy corn torillas on top of each other as your base.
- In a sauce pan, heat up your green enchilada sauce, and add in 1/2 can of diced green chiles. Let this mix heat up while you finish your cheesy tortillas. Stir occasionally.
- Stack your three cheesy tortillas, then spoon out your green enchilada sauce mix over the top so it “waterfalls” off the edges.
- Spoon out a heaping spoonful of salsa, and more or less just plop it on top.
- Sprinkle on your black beans and onion
- Add diced tomato and avocado
- Add a dollop of sour cream
- Top with cilantro
Boom! Done. So easy, and so delicious. So many amazing flavors all on one plate. If you’re extra hungry, you can add an extra tortilla, and if you’re not that hungry, try making it with just two. We’ve found three tortillas to be our sweet spot though!
These would make a fun dinner party meal I think too – you could set up a fun enchilada bar and let guests top them as they please.
^^^ Pin for later!
Let me know if you give these a try!
Enjoy your weekend, everyone!