This post is going to be especially helpful for all you Little Rockers out there, so pay attention!
It’s been slowly brought to our attention that this Saturday, October 5th is THE DAY in Little Rock. Literally every event that could possibly happen is happening on October 5th. It’s also my husband’s 25th birthday, which makes it 10 times better. Unfortunately, we will be unable to reap the benefits of this jam-packed fall day in the Rock! So, I’ve made a listy-list for YOU, so that you can attend at least one of these great events and we can live vicariously through you while we travel.
Here’s to October 5th!
Events on October 5th, in Little Rock, Arkansas and Surrounding Areas
1. Rock Town Bacon Throwdown – Bacon, lots of bacon, at War Memorial Stadium. You don’t need to know anything else.
2. Main Street Food Truck Festival – 26+ awesome local food trucks, on Main Street in downtown LR, 11am-4pm
3. Little Rocktoberfest – One of the largest beer fests in the state, lots of local brews, Dickey-Stephens Park, 6pm-9pm
4. Shrimp Boil Benefit for St. Francis House – Shrimp + a good cause = win/win! St. Mark Episcopal Church, 5pm-9pm
5. Little Rock Pride Parade – Clinton Presidential Center, 2pm
6. Timberfest – A lumberjack championship! What else do you need? Sheridan, AR, Oct 4-5
7. Arkansas Apple Festival – Heaven! Lincoln, AR
8. Redbone Fly Fishing Invitational – This is a huge fly fishing tournament in northwest Arkansas, specifically Gravette, benefitting the Arkansas chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which you know is near and dear to our hearts. Spend the weekend volunteering at this great outdoor event!
9. Mugs Cafe All You Can Eat Pancake Breakfast – $5. There’s no excuse to miss this! Mugs Cafe is on Main Street in NLR, Argenta district.
10. Autism Speaks Walk & 5K – Downtown Little Rock, Clinton Presidential Center, 5K starts at 8:30am
11. Fighting Red 5K To End Blood Cancer – NLR side of Big Dam Bridge, over the bridge and back, Cooks Landing, 8am
13. DennyWest at Wildwood Park for the Arts – a music festival WITH hayrides, lunch at 11am, music starting at 1 pm
Pick something out? Or two? Or three?
Be sure and take advantage of these local small businesses and events! They are what make our city unique, add to its character, and make it fun!
Speaking of local businesses, here are a few of our favorite local t-shirt companies we’ve encountered since living here…
Be sure and check out their stuff! So far we’ve been impressed with all 3!
Something else Adam and I have come to love about Arkansas is its’ lack of big box-stores, such as REI. As much as we LOVE REI, and hate that there isn’t one here, we love our locally owned, smaller outdoors shops even more. One of our favorites is Ozark Outdoor Supply, located in the Heights neighborhood of Little Rock. When we were in school up at Harding we would make the drive down to LR just to go to Ozark after a dinner date. Now, it’s one of our go-to’s whenever we’re in the area.
Recently, a similar store opened up in Searcy! Beyond Boundaries Outdoor & Adventure is just what Searcy needed, and we are so jealous that all of the Harding kids have it at their disposal now 🙂 They have tons of great brands, and you can even rent kayaks/canoes and head out on the Little Red! We’ve added Beyond Boundaries to our list of must-do’s whenever we’re back in our favorite small town!
So, as you can see, Little Rock is a local shopper’s best friend. It’s not so bad after all 🙂 I really could go on and on about the “local” shops and restaurants, and joints we love frequenting, but I’ll keep this post short and sweet!
What do you love about YOUR city?
I may not be updating much this weekend, but I’ll be all over my social media accounts with sneak peeks from my favorite place in the world! And if you are a Little Rock dweller and I find out you were lame and didn’t attend ANY of these events…then you are a boring person!
Don’t forget to become a fan of Sweet Miles on Facebook if you haven’t yet!