Now that we’re in the new house, it’s time to start dreaming! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – I’m so happy to finally be living the suburbia life. And while we also lived in a neighborhood in AR, this one just feels a little more cookie-cutter. Sidewalks, small yards, little trees – you name it, we got it! All that’s missing is a mini van! JK JK JK. But really, our next car will totes be a mom-mobile. I can’t wait for automatic doors!
ANYWAYS. I’ve compiled a starter bucket list for our new house. This is the home that Adeline is going to grow up in. We don’t have any plans to move, and I’m so relieved. It’s nice to feel like we’re ready to truly plant roots, roots that will grow and strengthen for years to come.
I recently purchased a large statement piece to go above the mantle. I think it captures what our vision is for our new home. It’s a motto I want Adeline to grow up not only reading, but also living.
“In our home, let love abide, and bless those who step inside.”
(PS my mantle is SUPER plain right now! I’m still trying to decide what to add/take away to make it perfect. On the wall behind me will be a collage of family photos so I’m trying to keep the mantle less cluttered. I’m kind of thinking maybe a pretty green succulent??)
I want our home to be a place where we not only make memories as a family, but where we also welcome others. We’ve already talked about hosting small group, getting involved with the youth group at our new church, getting involved with school once Adeline starts her elementary years, and just being more outgoing with inviting people over.
Anyways, let’s get to the bucket list. I think it will complete my thoughts.
New House Bucket List
- Host Adeline’s 2nd birthday party (and more)
- Have a family pizza party picnic in the playroom
- Spend the night in a tent in the backyard
- Host a baby shower for a friend, or a bridal shower for a young bride
- Host a family Christmas
- Decorate our banister for Christmas
- Give Adeline an epic bubble bath in our master bathtub
- Bake cookies and take to a neighbor
- Find the perfect play set/swing set for the backyard
- Hand curtains on the back patio, string lights, and someday a baby swing for #2
- Teach Adeline how to ride a bike on our sidewalk
- Host a sleepover for Adeline and her friends
- Host a New Year’s Eve party
- Trick or Treat with our wagon
- Sign Adeline up for soccer and practice in the backyard
- Finish remodeling the media room into an office (level out the floor, paint, new carpet)
- Easter egg hunt in the front and backyard
- Fill our stairwell with photos of our children
- Have friends over for game night on a regular basis
- Set up a projector and watch a movie in the backyard
- Host small group
- Decorate our front porch with all the pumpkins in the fall
- Have some of the youth group girls (or guys) over for dinner
- Watch the 2018 winter Olympics, and the 202 summer Olympics and host a watch party
- Help Adeline with her homework at the breakfast bar
- Walk Adeline to her first day of 6th grade (We live right around the corner from what will be her middle school, assuming we don’t move. But on second thought, that will be August in Texas and what 6th grader is going to want to frizz up her hair?!)
I think that’s a pretty good list to start with.
It’s fun to dream, isn’t it? Here’s to a new chapter, and all new memories. I thought I’d already lived “the best” but I think the best is yet to come.
What would be on your bucket list? Do you plan to stay in your current home for the foreseeable future?