Today was my second attempt at a lunchtime workout at the new gym. Since I was still a little sore from my first run earlier this week, and I only had about 40 minutes or so, I opted to do more of a tabata-ish style workout, and incorporate several different exercises throughout.
Here’s how it went down:
- Half mile warm up on treadmill – walked .1, ran .5 at a 10:54/mi pace (HA, I promise this FEELS much faster than it sounds! Baby steps, people!)
- 2 sets of 12 on both the leg press machine and leg curl machine
- 2 sets of 12 on Roman Chair – both variations (bent knees to chest, legs extended out)
- 3 sets of 13 yoga ball crunches
- 3 sets of 12 box step-ups (<—holy booty burn I may not be able to walk tomorrow)
- 3 failed attempts at bench sit-ups (may have teared up a little at how frustrating this is right now!)
- 4 very, very short bosu ball plank attempts
- 2 sets of 12 dumbbell bicep curls and dumbbell press
Disclaimer: this wasn’t technically a tabata style workout, BUT it did consist of 8 different exercises back to back, and my app only lets you choose one option, so I picked the closest thing.
It was definitely a tough workout though, and reallllllllllly made me question how long it’s going to take for me to get a decent core back. It’s pretty frustrating feeling like you’re starting from scratch, but more than anything it just feels good to push my body again!
Everyone has been quick to compliment how good I look post-baby, and how I’ve “dropped all of the baby weight” and “don’t even look like I had a baby.” And while that is all very sweet, and I do appreciate the compliments, it doesn’t change the fact that my muscle tone in general and core muscles have basically disappeared entirely and I feel flabbier, softer, and slower than ever! It’s just a reminder that even “skinny people” aren’t necessarily healthier or in better shape than their peers. You can’t judge a book by its cover.
So here’s where I’m at right now, no sucking in, no photoshop.
I guess it’s hard to tell in the mirror, and I’m sure most people are rolling their eyes saying I have nothing to complain about – so let’s just remember that this is MY fitness journey, and not anyone else’s. That poochy, squishy tummy has got.to.go. I’m serving it an eviction notice and telling it to get the move on! I am so proud of it for growing a tiny human, and that tiny human is worth every extra pound, dimple, and stretch mark, but I’m ready for my tummy to not jiggle like a bowl of jello when I laugh too hard! Beginning this journey of REALLY getting back into shape is going to be long and humbling for sure, but I’m so excited! I’m not looking to lose a single pound, but rather to get my cardio base back and firm up those core muscles.
Here’s to getting that “mom-bod” ready for Summer 2016! My abs WILL see the light of day again if it’s the last thing I do! After I finish off this pan of brownies sitting next to me…oomph! #momprobs
What are your favorite core exercises? Do you like mixed style workouts?