We’re officially ONE month out from our due date, less by the time you read this, which means it’s probably time to at least start thinking about my hospital bag. I’m not sure I ever did a post on the topic last time, but they seem to be popular so I thought I’d dive in and share my initial thoughts/ask for any advice!
I’m 100% confident I way overpacked with Adeline, and I remember feeling almost overwhelmed by the amount of stuff we brought with us to the hospital. But, you live and you learn, and you don’t know what you don’t know! This time though, being a second time mom, I can already tell my plan is going to be to pack light, minimal, and practical.
I have actually already packed Barrett’s bag, which was mostly on accident one day as I was folding his laundry. I went ahead and threw everything in his bag that I loved and before I knew it his bag was locked, loaded, and ready to go. It’s currently sitting by the front door, along with his boppy, car seat, and car seat cover/nursing cover. Chalk that up to a mom win!
Here is a preliminary list of what I’m thinking I need to pack for myself for D-Day 2.0 along with several things I learned after our first stint in L&D:
- You’ll probably wear the mesh panties the entire time you’re there. But, you might feel better going home wearing a pair of your own. They’ll need to be at least one size larger than normal. If not two sizes larger.
- You’ll probably live in your robe and maybe a nursing tank the whole time you’re in the hospital. This time I’m opting to pack very light when it comes to actual clothing because I just won’t wear it.
- Don’t waste your time bringing all of your hair accessories, unless you really think you’ll feel like blow drying and straightening/curling it. I did not, and am opting to go the dry shampoo route this time, most likely.
- My milk didn’t come in until we got home, so nursing pads weren’t necessary. This time though, I’m packing a few just in case it comes in earlier.
- Bring snacks! I didn’t do this last time and wished I had. Since we were induced they said I couldn’t eat past midnight so I didn’t even think about bringing anything to keep with us in the recovery room afterwards.
- No need to pack pads, or any personal hygiene items for “down there” – the hospital will give you everything you need and then some.
Notable things I’ve already packed for baby:
- 2 swaddle blankets (Copper Pearl + Aden & Anais brands, 2 different materials)
- Monogrammed gown/special outfit for pictures
- Going home outfit
- Plain/basic onesies in sizes newborn and 0-3 month (1 in each size)
- 1 pair of mittens
- 1 HALO swaddle
- Blanket I love for pictures
- Stuffed animal
- Boppy pillow
- 1 paci (Avent Soothie)
Thought starters for Dad:
- Necessary electronics
- Blanket & pillow
- At least one change of clothes
- Money/change for vending machine or cafeteria
- Toothbrush + basic toiletries
- Water bottle
- Labor entertainment (if not included under necessary electronics)
What should I add? What should I take away? What if anything should I do slightly different?
Would love to hear what YOU had to have in your hospital bag the second or third time around, and why. Important to note: I am not one to simply not pack, or fly by the seat of my pants so I can’t imagine just letting the hospital supply everything!