I recently posted an Instagram story shot of some things I’m stocking up on for those early postpartum days. I’ve deemed it my “downstairs disaster recovery station” and have loaded it down with pads, a spray bottle, and other necessities. I received a few questions + recommendations, as well as a special request for a blog post devoted to the topic so I thought I would throw one together while it was fresh on my mind!
A few notes first. Some of these items I’ve used, some I have not but they come highly recommended from multiple friends and fellow mamas. Everyone has their own “system” when it comes to postpartum recovery, and everyone’s hospital is a little different. My hospital for example, loaded us up with giant pads, mesh panties, ice packs, a spray bottle, and numbing foam spray so there really wasn’t a lot I needed immediately when we got home. Once you run low on this stock pile though, you might want your own stash of comfort items and healing gems. Also, depending on how bad you tore, or how bad your bleeding is, you may need more of less of what someone else might need. I also was blessed to not have to deal with hemorrhoids, which can be a huge discomfort postpartum!
Here’s my list of postpartum must haves for mom. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these items, and will be so happy you were prepared ahead of time! If you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments below.
- Soothies Gel Pads
- Earth Mama Perineal Spray (Hoo ha spray)
- Earth Mama Nipple Butter
- Motherlove Nipple Cream
- Spray Bottle OR Fridababy Fridet
- Dermoplast (My hospital sent me home with Epi Foam, but this is an option you can buy at any drugstore)
- Maxi Pads (Two sizes – one for the early days, one for when your bleeding starts to slow down)
- Oversized Underwear (Maternity panties!)
- Lansinoh TheraPearl Packs
- Depends (If you don’t want to mess with panties/pads, this is another easy option)
- Tucks Witch Hazel Pads (For hemorrhoids – I’ve never used them but have heard great things!)
- Nursing Pads (I like disposables, but Bamboobies make great washable ones)
- Water Bottle with Straw
- Comfortable Nursing Bra – (Favorite brands: Motherhood Maternity, Kindred Bravely, Bravado)
Postpartum recovery will probably look much different than what you are imagining, so try not to put too many expectations on yourself. If it’s your first, you’ll probably be quite surprised by what it actually entails – at least I was! But, just remember that it won’t last forever, and give yourself a little extra grace during this time. Also, laugh a little! It’s all pretty gross, as is most of the childbirth process, but a little humor can go a long way in getting you back on your feet faster!
What would you add? Which brands above did you use? How was your recovery? Was it different between babies? Different than what you had envisioned?