Hello there sweet friends!
I’m finally getting around to sharing one of our FAVORITE recipes!
Homemade Granola with Flax Seed
It is oh so easy, and will last you well over a week! This recipe is actually a slightly modified version of my father-in-law’s. When they came to visit several months ago, he shared the recipe with me and I’ve been hooked ever since! Adam and I both love it, and oh my goodness does it make our kitchen smell amazing.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
-5 cups of oats
-1 cup sliced almonds
-1 cup pecan pieces
-1 cup shredded coconut
-1/2 cup ground flax seed
-1/2 cup sunflower seeds
-1/3 cup canola oil or olive oil (I used a tiny bit more than that)
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 tsp cinnamon
-3/4 cup local honey
Flax seeds are loaded with health benefits such as antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, can help prevent cancer, lowers inflammation, and high in fiber, just to name a few.
1. Pour in your oats, then add all of your dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
2. Add vanilla, cinnamon, oil, and honey. Mix well.
3. Line as many dishes as you think you’ll need with parchment paper. Parchment paper will make it easier to clean up later! You want the granola to lay in a thin layer.
4. Bake at 325* for 15 minutes. Stir. Bake an additional 15 minutes. Stir. If granola doesn’t look golden brown just yet, or feel crispy, pop it in for another 5 minutes or so. This batch ended up baking for close to 40 minutes.
5. Enjoy with fruit, yogurt, or eat it bare bones! I promise you won’t be able to keep your hands out of it though!
Be sure and store it in an airtight container, and it should last a solid week! Assuming you only eat ~1/3 to ~1/2 cup at a time.
Granola is the perfect snack to take to work to keep at your desk, or to keep in the car when you need a quick snack. It’s filling, and will definitely stick with you longer than you think!
Do you make homemade granola? Do you like to cook with flaxseed? What are you doing for the 4th?