Popping in today to share what we’ve had for dinner the past two nights. Yep, the past two nights we’ve had the exact same thing, but only because it’s so good, so easy, and so fast!
One of my favorite tools to use in the kitchen is our panini press. When we first registered for it before our wedding, I thought surely it would end up covered in dust like those other rando appliances, i.e. quesadilla maker, donut maker, waffle maker, the list goes on. But, we actually use it all. the. time. Way more than our blender, crock pot, or even vegetable steamer. Maybe it’s because nothing beats a hot, toasted sandwich, but the panini press is SUCH an easy way to throw together a quick meal.
Our latest craze: Caprese Paninis.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 loaf of french or other fancy bread (something that toasts well, not like regular sandwich bread)
- Pesto sauce
- Fresh mozzarella
- 1 tomato
- Basil leaves
1. Stir/shake pesto sauce well, then spread over one side of each sandwich. You may end up adding it to other side, but pesto can be overbearing if you use too much.
2. Add your mozzarella cheese.
3. Add tomato slices.
4. Since pregnancy brain is my specialty, I forgot to add fresh basil BOTH times, however, here’s a picture of the fresh basil we have growing on our deck. It smells delicious!
5. Place on HOT panini press for maybe 3-4 minutes, or until bread is fully toasted! I like my paninis pretty crispy, so I leave it on there for a little longer. Also, you want your cheese to have plenty of time to melt.
6. And you’re done! Slice in half for easier handling.
How easy is that??
Pairing this panini with some fresh veggies would really make the meal complete. I had planned to cook up some brussels sprouts or asparagus on the side, but both nights we were so famished we made our sandwiches as quick as possible and didn’t worry about the veggies. But, the sandwiches themselves are pretty filling!