This weekend I was honored to be a bridesmaid in one of my best friend’s wedding. She was a beautiful bride, and we had so much fun celebrating her Friday and Saturday. If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably saw several pictures from the big day, so I won’t post too many here. But, here are a few of my favorites!
Saturday morning we all met at Starbucks for a cup of coffee and a quick breakfast. Her photographers were there as well, so I think they got some cute shots of us girls just hanging out! Brooke gifted all of her bridesmaids the CUTEST flannel shirts, and had them all monogrammed. They made the perfect “getting ready” attire, and definitely screamed, “winter wedding!” I love when brides get creative with their bridesmaids gifts, and do something practical like shirts, robes, jewelry, etc. It’s such a fun way to remember the fun times even after the wedding festivities are over and done with.
We got ready in the bridal suite by the chapel, and all had our hair done in different up-do styles. Getting to play dress up is always my favorite part about weddings, it’s completely girly and pampering!
The ceremony took place in a chapel on Harding’s campus, and the reception was in the auditorium of the church that the bride grew up attending. Both locations were beautiful, and Harding’s famous Christmas lights provided the best backdrop for the vows to be exchanged. The reception was simple, but with tons of homemade rustic details, such as handmade tree-stump candle holders. It really was so perfect for the bride and groom, and at the end of the night they rode away in an old Winnebago!
Wasn’t her dress gorgeous??
I was able to spend some time with one of my college roommates as well! Jenn actually has a blog of her own, so be sure and check it out!
On the way out of town I stopped by campus one more time and took in this scene. Harding is well known for their Christmas light display on the front lawn every year, and it just never gets old. Lots of memories were had on that front lawn!
Ok so, I know a few people had requested my soup recipe from the other day, so today is your lucky day! Now, before we get too ahead of ourselves, it’s not really MY recipe, but a recipe I adapted from Cooking Classy.
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here’s what you’ll do!
1. Sautee about half a yellow onion in butter, and cook until slightly brown.
2. Add in 6 Tbsp of flour, and 2 tsp minced garlic. Also lightly season with salt and pepper. Stir constantly for at least 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in 2 cans of evaporated milk. Stir for at least 2 minutes or so, or just until the mixture is super thick. It will turn into a mushy clump basically.
4. Next, add your thick mixture to your crock pot, along with 5 cups chicken broth (about 1 box + 1 can, or 5 or 6 cans), 2-3 heads of chopped up broccoli, and 1/8 tsp thyme seasoning. I just guessed at my broccoli amount and my chicken broth amount because I wanted to make a little more than what the recipe originally called for.
5. Cook on High for 2-3 hours, or low for 6.
6. If you can, stir your soup occasionally. If not, don’t worry about it. When the broccoli looks to be cooked thoroughly, turn the heat either off or to low, and stir in 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Mix well, then stir in parmesan and cheddar shredded cheese. I probably added two handfuls of each, using probably half of each bag, maybe a little more but I like my soup extra cheesy!
7. Stir until the cheese is all melted.
8. Serve with crackers and a little extra cheese on top.
9. Sit and enjoy by your Christmas tree 🙂
How was your weekend? Been to any winter weddings lately? Are you a fan of broccoli cheese soup? Are you ready for Christmas?
I’ve got a giveaway coming up tonight so be sure and check back!