Oh hey there. I’m not going to lie. I’m pretty excited tomorrow is Friday. Today was a day. A DAY with a capital D.
We all have days like this.
We try so, so hard but sometimes just fall on our face.
We’re convinced that if we could just go to the OTHER SIDE, things would be better.
But that can be deceiving as well. Sometimes we really are right where we need to be.
So just remember,
Ha. A little chuckle is good for the soul. Special thanks to the hubs for stumbling upon the comic relief.
48 Days To The Work You Love: Day 2
If you’re just now following along, I’m blogging my way through Dan Miller’s popular, inspirational book. I figure if I type up my thoughts, favorite quotes, and answer the questions here at some point it might sink through my thick noggin. And maybe, you’ll appreciate a thing or two as well!
To start things off, this chapter was pretty much a continual hypothetical question: Why do we work? What is work? How do we find rewarding work? What expectations are you trying to live up to in your work?
Here are some quotes that hit me hard, like a brick wall.
-The one characteristic millionaires have in common is they are all doing something they love. “If you love, absolutely love what you are doing, chances are excellent that you will succeed.”
-“A job should not define who or what you are.”
-“If we recognize prayer as a time of being present with God, then it follows that our work can be a form of engaging our hearts and spirits in a way that places us in His presence. Anything less would be a questionable use of our time, talent, and resources.”
-“Each area of our lives requires us to make deposits of success.”
-“10 years after graduation, 80% of college graduates are working in something totally unrelated to their college major.”
-“Few obstacles exist beyond those in our minds if we are creative in looking for solutions. Success is not a future event, it is the ‘progressive realization of worthwhile goals’ Thus, either you are successful today or you are not.”
-“The power of confidence in career choice comes from looking inward for the alignment of personal characteristics…”
Great, great words to think about! Did any of these in particular strike you a certain way? Do you agree or disagree with any of these?
A few of tonight’s questions:
1. Who gave you your first job? A. I worked at Academy Sports in high school. It was my first “official” job!
2. If your job changes, does your purpose change? A. I don’t think so. I think I was raised to always do every task laid before me to the best of my abilities, even if I loathed it. And I think that’s what God would want to- people working hard and upholding their integrity.
3. When you daydream, what do you see yourself doing? A. I see myself doing a handful of different things: blogging, running my photography business, being a mom one day, working in marketing/social media/seo, writing the children’s book that I’ve dreamed about!
4. What have been the happiest, most fulfilling moments in your life? A. The main one that comes to mind is our wedding. And in particular, the moment when we drove away from the reception, just the two of us, husband and wife. It was the coolest feeling to feel like we had finally become one and could start our lives together.
5. If nothing changed in your life in the next 5 years, would that be OK? A. I’d like to think that this isn’t even an option because I feel like I am too ambitious. I like change, I like new things, I like learning new things, and going new places. But, really, if nothing changed, I would learn to be content and would find a way to be happy.
Hills Are For Dogs
….and for selfish humans who need an excuse to eat that bag of PB M&M’s.
It’s true. My workout tonight was SOLEY based on an ulterior motive.
The long and short of it is this: we ran down our hill, Truckee sat and stayed, I ran back up the hill, she ran to me, we ran back down, she sat and stayed, I ran back up, she ran to me, and so on and so on. We tag-teamed. Success. But to my credit, we did take a 1.5 mile walk today right after work.
I know what you’re thinking. “Sarah, doesn’t marathon training start this week?” Yes, yes it does. Thus why I’m cherishing every last M&M until I have to make much better decisions.
Your Turn! Answer one of the above questions- I’d love to hear YOUR thoughts!