Over the course of my pregnancy so far, minus the awful first few weeks where I barely left the couch, I’ve tried really hard to incorporate walking into my routine at least a few times a week. I know it’s not exactly the same level of exertion as all of the running I was doing, but it’s something and I know every little bit counts!
Walking also isn’t the most “fun” exercise, but it’s much easier to stay motivated when you know just how beneficial walking can be for a pregnancy. For now, I’m thankful that I feel up to walking, and I hope I can continue walking as long as possible! I imagine there will come a point where walking is anything but enjoyable!
I did some research, and pulled ten key benefits of walking through pregnancy! There are dozens and dozens, but these ten really stood out to me and were extra motivating for one reason or another.
10 Benefits of Walking Through Pregnancy
1. Walking helps reduce your chance of developing gestational diabetes.
2. Walking keeps you used to working out so when baby gets here you already have a workout routine established. In theory, of course.
3. Walking might help you have an easier labor (supposedly). They think this is the case mainly because you will be in better shape and have better stamina than someone who doesn’t exercise at all.
4. Walking keeps both your heart and the baby’s heart strong, and helps lower your blood pressure.
5. Walking regularly helps you gain a healthier amount of weight, and keeps the baby’s birth weight in check. Apparently, the more mom exercises, the higher the chances are that baby will be born a bit slimmer, which in turn could you help you have a smoother delivery.
6. Walking helps improve your mood. Hello endorphins! And with how moody baby girl has made me, I think Adam is extra thankful when I walk!
7. Walking can help your back ache. Now, I’m not sure I 100% believe this because my back doesn’t necessarily feel better after I walk, but maybe it’s at least staying loose and isn’t as tight as it could be?
8. Walking can help you feel better about yourself. I know I always feel great about myself after a good run, and walking is no exception. I just feel like I’ve been productive and that I haven’t fully lost my shape yet!
9. Walking may help you “bounce back” faster after delivery. I’ve read this time and time again, that if you stay in shape throughout your pregnancy, that after your pregnancy your body will have an easier time recovering.
10. Walking helps you sleep better. Truth X’s 1,000!!!
So even if it’s not much, just a few minutes everyday is better than nothing! But of course, listen to your body!
Did you walk throughout your pregnancy? If you can’t run for one reason for another, what did you do instead?