Happy Wednesday! I figured before time got away from me I’d get this 18-20 week bumpdate post up! We’re actually 22 weeks tomorrow, which is so exciting. It’s crazy to think we’re over halfway now, and I feel like my to-do list has now hit me in the face and it’s time to start checking things off.
I still feel like this pregnancy is dragging on and on though and I’ve been pregnant for-ev-er. But I also can’t believe we’re 22 weeks now (as of tomorrow) and the weeks so seem to be flying by. I’ve been feeling much better overall, other than a few random moments of sickness. My biggest complaints now are the typical pregnancy pains like heartburn, hip and back pain, and just aches in general. It’s so funny to me though because it’s very obvious my body has done this once before and is like, “uggghh not again!”
Emotionally, I have days where I’m super excited, days where I don’t even think about it, days where I can’t believe we’re going to be a family of four, days where I’m sad about our time with only Adeline coming to an end, and days where I’m stressed thinking about how much we need to do to get ready, and days where I’m just content and feel so incredibly blessed. Needless to say, I’m all over the place!
I don’t have very many “pretty” bump pictures, and I’ve noticed that it’s just not as important to me this time around! I just don’t have the energy to remember to take them as often, and I honestly forget most of the time. Second child problems already?? I also added a few extra “categories” to this post as well, since we’re getting further and further along.
(This is technically a 21w6d picture, not 18w)
- Nauseous and pukey again
- Super tired
- Heartburn still…gimme all the Tums
- Felt fainty and lightheaded a few times, specifically twice while standing at church
- Had bad sore throat and cough all week
- Bad pregnancy brain (scheduled a work meeting with only myself, didn’t even think to invite everyone else!)
- Nothing stands out, just jalapeño poppers, sweets, and deli sandwiches like usual!
- Salads – I always think I can, but then it just ends up sitting uneaten on my plate.
Feeling Like: Bummed that this week was so tough. I thought I was feeling better but maybe it’s just going to come and go. I can tell that my belly is really growing though, and I’m starting to notice the telltale signs of pregnancy like hip pain and back aches. I’ve been able to get a few long walks in this week though, and that helps, and hurts. It feels SO good to get outside and exercise, and it helps relax my back, but by the end of it my hips hurt and I need to sit down and cool off for a bit. Getting excited for our big anatomy scan next week, but also feeling so nervous. I feel like I was so naive with Adeline and just assumed everything would be perfect because I didn’t know any better, but this time I feel like I’m scared to hear bad news, and have had some anxious feelings towards it. I still can’t decide if it’s a boy or girl, but I’d probably go with girl still, although I’m worried it’s actually a boy and we’re going to be super surprised!
- This was just a busy week, nothing really stands out
- I think we’re both saying girl right now!
Movement: A few little flutters
Belly Button: Flat
Exercise: Not much, this was a rough week and we had lots of rain.
- Threw up several times
- Still have a bad cough that won’t go away (allergies maybe?)
- Rough week of sleep
- Noticing very slight Braxton Hicks
- Feeling some tiny bloops
- Same as before
- Nature Valley Peanut Butter sandwich crackers
- Bacon – bacon and eggs almost every morning!
- Steak and potatoes
- Nothing stands out, but I know there were several things!
Feeling Like: A little overwhelmed because Adeline was a tough little booger this week. I think we’re all just tired and worn out, though. The first half of this week I was really nervous about our anatomy scan, but was also so excited. Starting to feel like it’s going to seem more ‘real’ once we find out the gender and I can finally start planning the nursery. Still having thoughts about how weird it’s going to be to add to our family!
- Had our big anatomy scan at 19w4d
- Found out the gender! BOY! We were both shocked, and didn’t really say much when she told us, other than “are you sure?!”. The scan went well though, and it was so fun to see him up close again! At one point he had his little legs crossed and his arms behind his head. Everything looked great, and it was such a relief. His HR was 152, and his heart and brain checked out perfect.
- Will have another ultrasound at our next appointment in 4 weeks to check placenta position because it’s pretty low currently and they want to make sure it moves up and away from the cervix. Placenta is also anterior so I probably won’t feel him as strongly as I felt Adeline.
- Only gained 1 lb in the past 5 weeks, 4 lbs total this pregnancy. Dr basically said to keep eating more and as much as I can so I’ve been taking her words to heart and trying to eat more when I feel like I can.
Movement: Feeling stronger bloops and flutters
Belly Button: Flat, so weird!
Exercise: A few 30 minute walks
- Feeling so uncomfortable already and we’re only halfway! Second pregnancies are no joke.
- Heartburn, so much heartburn!
- Threw up on the day we turned 20 weeks. Happy 20 weeks!
- Trying to eat more but can only eat small meals at a time. If I wait too long to eat, or eat too quickly, it comes right back up.
- More Braxton Hicks, but still very faint of course. I had SO many BH’s with Adeline that there’s no mistaking them now!
- More bacon
- Cake, cookies, etc.
- Dr. Pepper
- Mini blueberry muffins
- Nothing else crazy stands out
- Chicken still – I haven’t really wanted chicken this entire pregnancy
- Nothing else crazy stands out
Feeling Like: I think we’re both still in shock that it’s a boy but now I can’t stop thinking about names and wondering what he’s going to look like. Will he look like Adeline? Will he have dark hair too? Will he be bigger than Adeline? I’m struggling a little bit with trying to decide what direction to take with the nursery, but I’m thinking something simple and neutral. My heart has also been extra heavy this week because Adeline has just been so sweet, even though she’s wild! She’s been so much fun lately and hearing her talk just melts my heart. She’ll say she has a “baby brudder” in HER tummy, and that Mommy has a “little sister” in hers, so we’re still trying to clear some things up! I think she gets it’s a boy though, but is confused on what being a sister means. Oh my goodness I can’t wait to see her become a big sister, she’s going to love him so much!
- Someone said, “you’re carrying low, I can tell it’s a boy!” I’m not sure I’m carrying that much differently than I did with Adeline, but I do feel more uncomfortable than with Adeline.
- Starting to plan out the nursery
- Parents flew into town, spent the weekend shopping for baby boy and picking up a few maternity things. It was so different shopping on the boy side, almost surreal. Adeline had more fun than we did though I think dragging P Daddy around the store and asking him to buy her stuff. It was so cute!
- One night while I was rocking Adeline to sleep, we were talking about where baby brother is and she was pointing to my tummy. Then she randomly said, “baby sister up there!” and pointed up in the air. And I could just feel the tears welling up in my eyes. We’ve never made any mention to her of a baby in Heaven, and there’s no way she even understood what happened back in August, so this could have just been a coincidence. And I have no idea what the gender was, but I do believe he/she is up in Heaven, waiting for us to meet them one day.
Movement: Feeling stronger bloops still, can almost feel bigger movements deep in my belly but I think it’s only because I’m much more in tune with my body this time
Belly Button: Flat, but I have a feeling the turkey timer will pop way sooner than with Adeline
Exercise: Adding time to my walks, trying to walk a little longer each time. Obsessed with listening to The Birth Hour podcast while I walk.
That wraps it up!
Did you feel totally different with baby #2 vs baby #1? When did you start feeling movement the second time?