As of yesterday, Adeline is officially two months old. I know every new mom says this, but I honestly cannot believe it’s already been 2 months, and almost 9 weeks. Unreal. I thought those newborn days would never end, and we’d stay in that moment forever, and now all of a sudden she’s an infant! Those days were so, so long, but the past 9 weeks combined have gone by so, so fast. They’ve been some of the best weeks of my life, and I truly feel like I’ve done my best to soak them up as much as possible.
It makes me so sad that I can’t go back in time and re-live Adeline’s first few days, but I’m loving each little stage more and more! It’s going to be SO much fun watching this little girl grow up!! It’s amazing how she’s really starting to feel like a little person, instead of just this little breakable, tiny, “thing” that I was so worried about keeping alive for her first few weeks of life!
She’s also getting to be more and more fun (and challenging) to take pictures of. Little bits of her personality are starting to shine through and I just love it! She’s not a fan of my nice camera, and refuses to smile for it thus far, but I’ve caught some great smiles on my phone thankfully.
As of late, the general consensus seems to be that she looks like me in her newborn and baby-baby pictures, but is looking more and more like Adam now that she’s a little bigger. A lot of people have also said she looks like my mom, so she’s an interesting mix for sure! I’m not really sure who I think she looks like, but I do think she looks like the prettiest little thing I ever did see.
We had her two month check up yesterday as well, and she checked out perfect! Other than a super sad meltdown after her shots, the appointment went as expected.
Here’s her 2 month update:
Adeline is 11 lbs 2 oz and 23.5″ long! She’s in the 59th percentile for weight, and the 88th percentile for height. She’s going to be a long and lean one we think! Not sure where she’s getting this height from…certainly not from me! Oh, and her head is 15″, which puts her in the 33rd percentile.
As far as clothes go, she’s wearing all 0-3 month and 3 month, and is in size 1 diapers as of about 1.5 weeks ago. I may have teared up a little when I realized I was literally stretching her newborn diapers to make them fit around her chubby little booty. And after a few blowouts, I decided it was time to make the upgrade. I think we’re all a little happier now!
- Being sung to. Jesus Loves Me, I Love You With the Love of the Lord, Hush Little Baby are her faves.
- Johnnyswim and Bon Iver Pandora station
- Laying on her piano play mat. She will kick and coo and smile all day long!
- Stretching. This girl can make herself look like Stretch Armstrong.
- Having her hair played with and her eyebrows rubbed
- Kicking her blanket off of her when she’s in the swing
- Sleeping in the Rock n Play by mommy after her 6 am (ish) feeding. I don’t do this all the time, but she sleeps snug as a bug in it and it’s so cute!
- Burping. She is a CHAMP burper and she’ll fuss and fuss until she gets a good one out!
- Pink bear blanket. This blanket is EVERYTHING. It’s magical. It will put her to sleep every time!
- Falling asleep in mommy or daddy’s arms in the glider
- Having her back or bottom patted
- Bath time, but only while she’s actually in the tub
- Walks in the Ergo
- Her mini Sleep Sheep that hangs on her carseat. We actually have a sleep bunny on her car seat, and the full size Sleep Sheep on her crib.
- Tummy time (sometimes…and only for like the first minute or two)
- Being on a somewhat structured schedule.
- Napping (when she wants to…some days she fights it hard and barely sleeps during the day)
- Same as last month for the most part
- Getting overstimulated
- Putting lotion on after a bath
- Getting tired. She always lets me know when she’s ready to go down for a nap.
- Putting bows and headbands on.
- When said bows or headbands slide down and cover her eyes while she’s in the car seat. It’s both hilarious and sad all at the same time!
- Choking on her spit up. If I can’t catch it fast enough to sit her up, it scares her and she’ll start coughing.
- Getting out of her “routine”
- Being awoken from a good nap. Sometimes she sounds like a grumpy teenager when I wake her up.
I’ve been working really hard to get us on a 6-9-12-3 schedule during the day. We don’t always hit our marks exactly, but she is pretty close to it. We’re usually within 30 minutes of it on a good day. We’re also still working hard on the feed-wake-sleep rhythm, and I think it’s helping her learn that “playtime” leads to a good nap, instead of eating leading to a nap.
So, usually she’ll feed around 6am, 9am, noon, 3pm, then she tends to cluster feed a little more at night. So that’s usually a feeding somewhere between 5:30pm-6:00pm, 7:30pm, and again right before I lay her down for the night, which is usually 9:00 ish or so.
Our bedtime routine is starting to feel pretty solid, which I think is what’s contributing to her sleeping longer at night. She sleeps in her crib, with all the lights off, white noise on the sound machine, in a Halo Sleepsack, and a soft blanket over her bottom half. I am trying to get her used to sleeping without being swaddled, but so far have been unsuccessful. I don’t want daycare to swaddle her, so we’ve got to break this before I go back to work!
So typically, I try to feed her around 7:30pm, then get her in the bathtub by 8pm, sometimes 8:30pm if we get lazy, then nurse her again after her bath, then lay her down for the night. I usually have her down in her crib by 9:30pm at the latest. There have been a few nights recently where her groove got thrown off and it was probably 10:30pm before I could get her down and asleep, but there have also been a few nights where she’s been asleep by 9pm. She will then *usually* sleep until somewhere in the 4am-5:30am range. BUT, for about a week she got into the habit of waking up religiously at 3am, and it just about drove me nuts, but I think we finally broke that habit. (But of course last night was an off night and she woke up at 3 again, argh). I’m just thankful she isn’t waking up every 2-3 hours like she did in the newborn days, but I know sleep regression is going to be headed our way sooner rather than later!
- First time sleeping through the night
- First time meeting Santa
- First big smile. She started smirking at 6 weeks, but the big smiles came at 8 weeks.
- First time “talking”
- First Christmas party
- First blowout
- First time holding her head up really well during tummy time
- First time being babysat by grandparents
- First time letting mommy leave to go to the gym!!
Adeline is still a good eater, and breastfeeding is going MUCH better than it was those first few weeks. She’s still a long winded nurser though, and I have to cut her off at 30 minutes or else she easily overeats. Sometimes though she insists on nursing for 45 minutes, and if she burps really well I let her, especially if it’s right before bedtime.
I’m currently working on cutting out major dairy, because I think it might be making her spit up worse. So far, she seems to be a little better, but I’m not quite sure yet. I was a bit spitter when I was a baby too, so she may just be prone to it? I also think I am definitely guilty of letting her overeat and get too full, which for sure causes it to come right back up. But, we’re working on it!
Little Things I Want to Always Remember
- How pretty her eyelashes are and how they seem to be longer everyday
- Her chubby cheeks after she nurses. There’s this face she makes that just cracks me up!
- How sweaty and messy her hair is after nursing or sleeping
- When she smiles and coos on the changing table, or when I wake her up
- How she holds her own hands while nursing
- Her loud groans and moans after I wake her up
- When she falls asleep in my arms when I’m rocking her
- When she sleeps, she makes the sweetest noises and it gives me a tiny glimpse at what her sweet voice might sound like one day.
- How she stares at the Christmas tree
- How dramatic her stretching is when she wakes up
- How her hair blows when under the fan
- The fuzzy newborn hair she still has on her back and shoulders
- The way she nuzzles her head while she’s falling asleep in my arms
- When her bows slide down and cover her eyes
- Meeting Santa both times
- The dimple on the right side of her face, and the freckle and birth mark on her left leg
- How sometimes when she does tummy time, she farts when she cries
- How Truckee sneaks into the nursery and sleeps beside her crib, or when we’re playing on a quilt in the living room, Truckee will try to lay as close as she can to her
Adeline is changing more and more everyday, I can hardly keep up already! We love our sweet girl so much!