As of yesterday, my baby girl is 4 months old! I am falling more and more in love with her by the second and her personality is totally starting to shine! She is hilarious already, and keeps us cracking up. I’m pretty sure she’s the cutest little thing on the face of the planet, but I know I’m biased.
She is growing and changing so fast! It seems like every week marks a new development. I think it’s obvious too by these pictures how much she’s changing, and how her attention span is slowly dwindling. I’m sure by her 12 month update we’ll be down to one blurry photo.
Now that I’ve been back to work for a month, I definitely am feeling more like myself. It’s been nice to nail down a weekly routine, and I think as of right now, we are all three in a great place.
At her 4 month check up, Adeline weighed 14 lbs 3 oz, and was 24.75″ long. This puts her in the 64% for weight, and 70% for height. She’s right on track, and healthy as can be!
For clothes, she’s wearing a few 3 month pieces, but is now gradually moving into 6 month pieces. I’d say for the majority of this past month she was in 3 months, but just here in the past week or so she’s fitting into her 6 month stuff. Really though, I think she’s in-between sizes, because some of her 3 month stuff fits ok still, but is pretty tight and almost too short, but some of her 6 month stuff also fits, but is a little too long or baggy. Comfort wise, I’d say she’s definitely better off in 6 months at this point, even if the sleeves are a little long. The onesie she’s wearing in these pictures is 3 months though.
Diapers wise, she’s pretty much squeezing into size 1’s these days, and I think we’re about ready to put her in size 2’s. She’s been sleeping in nighttime size 2’s, so I need to just make the switch for her regular diapers too. Those thunder thighs man, they’ll getchya!
She’s only worn shoes a few times, mostly her little moccasins, and they are size 3-6. I think her little black patent mary jane’s are 0-3 months though, and I would assume they still fit as well.
- Having her feet kissed, belly kissed, tickled, thighs squeezed – she just thinks it’s hilairous
- Sleeping – we’ve been so blessed with a great sleeper, so far!
- Tummy time – she’s liking being on her tummy more and more
- Sitting up in the Bumbo, but only for a few minutes at a time – this is fairly new!
- Being swaddled in her bear blanked for naps in her swing – this only happens on the weekends usually
- Still likes being patted on her back or bottom when she’s falling asleep or being rocked
- Her wubbanub pacis
- Looking at books for a few minutes at a time
- Her beaded necklace toy, she wears it on her shoulder like a purse and it’s adorable
- Laying in the rock n play in the bathroom while I shower
- Being smiled to, snug to, talked to – she pretty much just loves attention
- Baths – she’s LOVING baths lately, and is starting to kind of kick her feet around
- Stretching out and pulling her knees up as high as she can, then popping back out into a stretch, over and over again
- Being awoken from a deep sleep
- LOUD people, people who naturally are just overly loud talkers
- Being in her car seat for too long when it’s not moving
- Having her bottle taken away from her mid-feed when we try to burp her
- Being tired – she always lets me know when she’s ready to take a nap or go to bed
- Putting on headbands – she still doesn’t like putting anything over her head, but once they’re on she’s fine
- Doing tummy time when she’s too tired – she will just lay there like “nope, not in the mood.”
- When she’s eating and gets too much milk too fast, she’ll cough and get kind of mad
- Taking too many pictures – her attention span is definitely starting to develop, and when she’s over it, she’s over it!
- Her acid reflux
- Sitting in her car seat at church, now she likes to be held
- Having her legs covered up if she’s not wrapped up, she’ll kick it off every time!
- First trip to Franklin
- First time meeting Mawmaw and Pawpaw (her great grandparents on my side)
- First time meeting my girlfriends back home
- First time really grasping small objects on purpose
- Pulling objects up to her mouth
- Rolling over from tummy to back consistently
- Rolling to her side
- Smiling BIG smiles, like smiles that overtake her entire face
- Sitting in Bumbo
- First Valentine’s Day
- First medication 🙁 started her on reflux medicine
- Starting to roll to her side
- First time discovering her feet
- First time being held “on my hip”
- First time taking a bottle at church instead of nursing in the cry room (our best idea yet!!)
- First time going down for a nap in her crib awake and putting herself to sleep (thank you, Honey!)
Our routine is finally starting to get into a groove. I’ve been really lucky to have had Fridays off for these first 6 weeks back to work, so Adeline has only been going to daycare 4x/week. So during the work week, she typically wakes up/we wake her up sometime between 6:00am-6:30am. I’ll nurse her, then I’ll finish getting ready, or vice versa, and we’ll get out the door by 7:20. (<—still working on that one, we really NEED to start leaving closer to 7!) Adam and I are still riding together, so first we drop Adam off at his building, then I drive down to daycare and drop off Adeline, then I park and head into my building, which is only two blocks from her daycare. (SO NICE!) I’m usually in my office sometime between 8:00am-8:15am, depending on how long I stay and love on Adeline/play with her. After work, I usually walk down to daycare, and start getting all of her things together, while Adam walks to the car, and then comes inside with the carseat, then we load her up and head home. We’re usually home by 5:30pm, and then it’s go-go-go until bedtime. She always naps on the drive home, but wakes up as soon as we get home. So I’ll change her, and either get her back to sleep in the swing, or on me, or she’ll play until time for a bath. She almost always takes a nap before bed though, but soon I’m going to start just moving her bedtime up earlier so she doesn’t nap as long, or even at all. I try to get her in the bath sometime 7:30pm-8:00pm, and then nurse her, and she’s usually asleep in her crib by 9:00pm.
On the weekends, it’s usually either more like our routine while I was on maternity leave, or we just do whatever depending on how long she sleeps or what we’re doing that day. I’m trying really hard to not be so rigid on the weekends anymore, and just go with the flow and enjoy our time with Adeline more than stressing about our “schedule.” But either way, she still wants to eat every 3, sometimes 4 hours, so whenever those feedings fall is usually how it goes. Even though I’m trying to not obsess over a schedule, it does naturally tend to fall into a 9/12/3 or 10/1/4 timeframe.
For bedtime, we’re still doing the same thing we’ve been doing since she was about a month old – warm bath, lotion, nursing in the dark with her white noise on, and putting her down in her crib. When we travelled back to my parent’s house in Nashville, there was one night she slept in the rock n play, but the other nights she slept in the pack n play. I think having a solid consistent routine at night and putting her in her crib early on has really helped her form good sleep habits. Most nights she’s sleeping from 9:00pm-6:00am straight, and either not waking (or not waking enough to wake us up), or she’ll wake herself up around 4:00am either crying a little or tossing/turning, but puts herself back to sleep after just a few minutes. I feel really, really lucky to “have a good sleeper,” and try to take it night by night knowing that any night could be different. I know once she really starts teething hardcore and rolling over more and more, our nights are going to get a bit more interesting! I’m hoping though that she’ll still keep her good habits. We shall see!
Breastfeeding just seems so normal now, and for that I am so thankful! We definitely had a rough start. Adeline is a great nurser, and I’m so proud of the fact that she’s still exclusively breastfed. It’s amazing seeing her chunky little thighs and know that I did that! My goal is for her to be exclusively breastfed for 6 months before introducing any solids, including rice cereal, and then continue breastfeeding with solids as needed. I’d like to breastfeed her to some extent for a full year. (Every mama has different goals and motivations, so if you want to hear my reasoning, feel free to email me! I don’t want to be negative towards anyone’s choices, this is just simply what works best for my family!) She nurses in the morning before work, and then once, maybe twice after work. During the day, she gets 3 bottles at daycare. So typically, she gets 5 feedings a day, but like I said, sometimes we squeeze in an extra depending on our timing. She loves to eat for sure, but she will LET YOU KNOW when she is not hungry. Oh man, she will NOT eat if she isn’t hungry! I’m starting to see why mamas will nurse for so long because it really is such a unique bond and special time, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t ready to have my boobs back!!!
She’s still spitting up and dealing with acid reflux, so that’s been a challenge. But, aside from a somewhat messy baby at times, she’s doing great on breast milk, and I haven’t seemed to have any significant problems with my supply as of yet. I’ve got a ridiculous freezer stash, for which I am so grateful to have, but we are going to have to start dwindling it down so I don’t end up throwing any of it out!
Pumping – kudos to any working mama who has ever pumped! It is tough doing it 3x a day at work, but I know it’s worth it. I am very fortunate to have an office with a door so I can have privacy whenever I need it. As far as what my routine is, I usually will pump around 10, 1, and 4, and whatever I pump that day is what I send to daycare for her the next day, and I freeze whatever is leftover.
Little Things I Want to Always Remember
- The sounds she makes when she’s chewing on her hands
- How she talks to herself in the car
- Her thighs!!! Still obsessed.
- How she giggles at daddy when he blows strawberries on her tummy
- Her cough-toots
- Putting her in her great-great-grandmother Zora’s bonnet
- How she smiles and giggles when we wake her up in the mornings
- How she wakes up sideways in her crib sometimes
- How she’ll follow me around the room with her eyes
- Saturday morning cuddles in bed with me and Adam
- How long her hair is – it’s past her eyes when I brush it out and I think I’m going to have to trim her bangs!
- How she stares at Truckee
- How she giggles at Adam
- How cuddly she is when Adam holds her
- How she passes out after daycare
- Her twinkle eyes. They are seriously the prettiest ever!!
- Her perfectly timed blowouts
- The tiny freckle I found on her left pinky
- Her dramatic sighs – I think I mention this every month but it is still hilarious
- How chatty and loud she is after a bath – she coo’s and talks like crazy!! If you follow me on Snapchat you might hear it sometime, @sarah_ingle1
I think that sums it up! It’s been a busy month – between going back to work, starting a new adventure, and spending as much time as a family as we can, and I know it’s only going to get busier, but in the best of ways!!
We love you Adeline! And we are so thankful to all of our friends and family who continue to love on our sweet girl, and be encouraging role models and mentors for me and Adam! We have such a wonderful support system.