Oh hey there!
Another weekend come and gone too quick, but this time, it was a joyous weekend spent at our new house! I felt semi-settled last weekend, but this weekend I actually felt relaxed and like the house was ours. I made a lot of progress unpacking, and started hanging a few pictures and pieces of decor here and there! I’m finding it much more difficult than I imagined it would be to decorate my new blank canvas, but I’m also being a lot more picky, and intentional with what I hang on the walls. I’ve already got a huge pile of things from the old house that I most likely won’t hang in the new house, even though I love them. I’m really feeling a vibe of “less is more” in this house, so for now, that’s the direction I’m heading!
I’ve been wanting to share this post pretty much all summer, but just haven’t had the time to sit down and compose my thoughts! So now, I’m set up at the breakfast bar, with a big plate of nachos and a tangerine LaCroix. Let’s get to bloggin’!
Adeline has EXPLODED this summer. Any by that, I mean her personality, and her brain, and her toddler-essence. I feel like there have been several very obvious “chapters” in her life thus far, if you will. Newborn, baby, 1st birthday/starting to walk, 15 months (which was my first fave!), 18 month (which turned into my next fave!), and now this weird 20-24 month age (which is officially my newest fave!) She’ll be 21 months on July 22, so we’re still a few days shy, but lately it feels like she already thinks she’s 2 years old. I say this literally every month, but this age is just so much fun. It’s also been the most challenging for me. This girl ya’ll. She wears me out, both mentally and physically. I honestly think I’m more tired now, than in the newborn days, only because I’m tired in a million different ways. I’ve never felt like maybe I needed to read a book on parenting, until now. She is difficult, stubborn, and so unbelievably opinionated that sometimes I just don’t even know what I’m supposed to do! And most nights, I fall asleep feeling like I said, “No!” more than anything positive.
Even though we’re in a tough stage, and I know it’ll only get tougher, it’s also just really adorable. Adeline is just so freaking cute I can’t even handle it sometimes. I can say that because it’s my blog. She’s literally the cutest. Like, how is she mine??? How did I make that??? I still don’t understand how I ended up with such a ham, but I love her so much. She’s turning into my little buddy, and I love that she’s like her own little person now.
After the chaos of moving, I’ve fallen so far behind in my Mom’s One Line a Day book. You’d think it’d be easy to remember to scribble something down every night before bed, but think again. Recently I’ve just been jotting notes down on my phone when I notice something new, and then eventually reference Instagram when I go back and actually journal them. I wanted to actually blog them though to make sure they get documented in a somewhat timely manner, so this post is primarily for my own sake.
Since we won’t go back to the pediatrician until her 2 year appointment (waaahhh!), I thought it was time to do an update. I’m keeping it simple though and just listing some of the new things she’s doing, learning, and loving. Basically a giant list of things I want to remember. And by giant, I mean, grab a cup of coffee because it’s kind of a novel.
19-21 Mo. Things I Want To Remember
- Her “cheeeese” smile
- Her “smile with your teeth!” smile – she has so many teeth now I’ve lost count!!
- How she dances in front of the TV, and turns around in circles
- Her “super hugs!” with Daddy
- How she gives Daddy a kiss every morning before school
- How she has to hold something in both hands, i.e. crackers or chips, she can’t have just one
- Her deep, deep gut laugh – when she gets laughing hard it’s so cute!!
- How when she laughs she squints her eyes, shows all her teeth, and leans back
- When she runs laps around the house
- How obsessed she is with stoops and her new little patio chair
- When she immediately darts the other direction if she knows she picked up something she shouldn’t
- When she walks on her tippy toes
- She loves playgrounds, and if she sees one (even out the car window!) she goes crazy!
- She’s iffy on holding our hands, and sometimes she wants to but sometimes she pulls away and says “no!” and does this funny shoulder shrug thing
- She loves splashing in water, or in her baby pool, but she’s not a fan yet of the actual pool. She’s actually pretty scared of it, but every now and then she’ll let me carry her in.
- How she’s baby hulk and likes to carry EVERYTHING, no matter how heavy
- How she’ll only nap in the car if you hold her hand from the front seat, she’ll reach her hand out of her car seat and cry until you grab her finger
- Still screaming “Daddy!!!”
- How she loves carrying around a “purse” – aka anything she can carry on her shoulder.
- How she’ll wave bye to anyone
- When we went to Franklin in May for P Daddy’s 60th Bday + my second Mother’s Day
- How happy she is at daycare pickup. ESP her new school! She’ll run full speed towards me with the biggest smile on her face and give me the sweetest hug.
- When she played with sidewalk chalk for the first time
- When she’ll lay on her tummy on the ground reading a book
- Every night I still rock her (if I put her to bed) and we read a handful of books, and sing Jesus Loves Me or Twinkle Twinkle
- How much she swells up if she gets bit by a mosquito
- Her CRAZY hair, but especially her pigtails!!!
- How adorable she is in her jammies. If I could keep her in her jammies all day I would!! I’m so obsessed with her little legs in her sleep shorts.
- How she’ll carry around my big cup/straw (giant insulated tervis type cup) as if it’s her, and if she doesn’t actually want water out of it she’ll just come find me to give it to me
- How happy she is when she’s playing with her cousins, and chasing them around
- How much she loves playing with Honey’s teapot playset. She loves to carry it around and pretends to stir it.
- She learned to climb up into the highchair at Honey & Pops’ house by herself
- When she blows Grammy kisses through FaceTime
- She LOVES her wagon, and anytime we say, “want to go for a wagon ride?!” she makes this hilarious surprised face and runs to the door.
- She got really good at going up and down stairs, really quick! Talk about a nervous mama!
- When we walked to our new playground for the first time, and how happy she was!
- How she climbs on our stair ledge
- How she climbs on literally everything she possibly can
- How she’ll stick out her legs to be bug sprayed
- When she’ll help Daddy carry Truckee’s dog bowl
- How she is so good when I put sunscreen on her, she just stands in front of me holding her little hands
- When I caught her snuggling on the couch with Daddy watching TV before school
- Likes to hug Truckee but sometimes hits her too hard (still working on that!)
- Starting to hit in genera (ah!)
- Her funny faces she makes when she sees something exciting
- How much she loves Elmo, Doc McStuffins, Super Why, Trolls, Moana
- Everything is “mine!” (yikes!)
- Started saying “hi!” (but maybe she’d already been saying that?), “thank you”, “out”, “bite”, “pop”, “bubble” (I think), “mwah!” (when she’s kissing a booboo), “peease” (for please), “ank you” (thank you), “ball”, “doough” (dog), “umm umm umm” (as if she’s trying to think of what to say)
- Sometimes she’ll just babble off what sounds like a complete sentence, but in pure jibber. I think she will be talking talking before we know it though!
- When she’ll “jump!” off a step, or off the changing table, or off the ground. She’ll act like she’s getting air, but usually just one foot leaves the ground. It’s so funny!
- Her trust falls off the changing table.
- How she’ll drop her Moose paci into her crib every morning. We tell her to drop Moose and say bye bye I’m a big girl, and she always throws him in without fussing. We’ll be taking it away completely soon, and I’m dreading it! She loves her Moose so much!
- When she walk Truckee, she insists on holding the leash.
- She’s started loving slamming doors – slammed her finger one time and hasn’t done it since!
- If she wants you to sit by her she’ll point to the space next to her until you sit down by her
- When she runs and tackles Daddy and flips over him if he lays on the ground on his back
- She’s starting to throw everything (again, ah!)
- Her tantrums are getting really hard to deal with, and so loud! I feel bad sometimes practically dragging her by one arm, or smacking her wrist, and most times we just leave her be and let her throw her tantrum and ignore it. This is such uncharted territory for us, and my goodness it is hard!
Oh my goodness I just love her so much. The fun, cute, sweet moments certainly make up for the hard moments!
Thanks for following along – I have a feeling there are lots more updates like this still to come.