Welp, here we are! Past 18 months, and chugging full speed ahead to two years old. Next stop, college. Don’t mind me, I’m just crying over how fast time is flying. I really, really thought 15 months was my favorite age yet, but 18 months? 18 months has been FUN. And equally challenging if we’re being honest! I feel like I’m finally parenting another individual person, and not just a baby who has no say.
Adeline turned the big 18 months on April 22, so I’m a little behind, but such is life these days. When I look back at her 15 month update, I feel like on one hand not much has changed, and on another hand, everything has changed. The “everything” that’s changed mostly pertains to her personality and development into toddler land though. Sure she’s growing, and trying new foods, and experiencing new firsts, but more than anything she’s just constantly doing things I never want to forget.
This update is going to be a little more summarized than past updates, but here we go!
Girlfriend is a string bean. A petite string bean and I love every inch of her. She’s 24 lbs (maybe 24.5 soaking wet and fully dressed), 34.5″ tall, with a very normal head circumference. (lolz, pretty sure I have never kept track of this, am I supposed to? I mean her head totally looks normal.) Oh, and she’s got 11 teeth! 12 by the end of this month I bet! 4 of these are actually molars, which she got before most of her other teeth! #weirdo
Diapers wise she’s still in size 4, can MAYBE squeeze her tush in a 3 if absolutely necessary, is wearing size 4, 5, and 18 month shoes (because every brand is so different!), and mostly 18 month or 18-24 month clothes. She’s got a few 12 month things that still fit like her little denim jacket, but for the most part our tall girl is way past the 12 month stuff. Even a few of her 18 month dresses are too short!
Like and Dislikes
Honestly, still pretty similar to 15 months, which again, you can read here. They’re getting hard to keep up with now! Many are included below in things I want to always remember.
One that really stands out, that’s a bit of a change for her is really hating the car. She’s ok if she’s entertained with something, or is tired enough to fall asleep, but she’s definitely at the point where she KNOWS she would rather get out and run around.
This is also hard to keep track of!
- First Easter egg hunt
- First time watercolor painting
- First Valentine’s Day party at school
- First time really playing on big playgrounds
- First time going down the slide by herself
- First real bruises and scratches
- First trip to the ER
- First time being bit at school (right after 18 months)
- And probably more…
This is still pretty similar to 15 months. She’s a great sleeper (12+ hours), great napper at home, barely naps at daycare, and only wakes up at night if she’s having a bad dream, pooped, or having teething pains. That just about sums her up!
She’s still going to school Monday-Thursday from about 8:15 to 3:30/4 ish, depending on my work load. I try to keep her home with me on Fridays if I can manage it, but sometimes she goes for a half day and I pick her up before nap time.
For the most part, she takes one solid nap a day, with MAYBE a short cat nap in the car later in the day. If she’s home with me, or if it’s the weekend she’ll usually nap from 11 ish to 1:30 ish. She’s pretty loyal to her 2.5-3 hour naps. At daycare though, her naps are totally hit or miss. They try to put them down from 12-2, but it’s honestly never really consistent. (I’ve been told Adeline is a bit of a party animal at naptime and often runs around trying to wake up the other kids. HAHAHAHA this kills me. Gal pal just doesn’t want to miss anything!!) Making the transition from 2 naps to 1 nap basically happened on its own. I really have no real tips for you on that, other than your kid will seriously just naturally do it. Some days depending on what’s going on we can push her nap back closer to noon, but she has a hard time staying awake. Now, daycare is a different story since apparently she doesn’t sleep there.
This is also pretty similar to 15 months. She loves her food, but she does have her picky days. She especially loves meat, still eats puree pouches, and loves drinking water. I honestly can’t even count the new foods she’s tried! She eats a lot of what we eat, lots of veggies, is iffy on fruits unless it’s banana, and rarely if ever eats anything sweet. One thing that stands out is her new love of dipping her food, specifically, she LOVES queso and ranch.
Things I Want To Always Remember (aka 18 months in a nutshell)
- How she runs over to her shoe basket in the entryway bench and pulls her shoes off, then tries to put them on
- How much she LOVES dogs, and points at them, and says “woof woof woof”
- How she points at books, or brings them to us and says, “beed!” for “read”
- How at bedtime she runs and hides behind the glider and giggles
- Her belly laughs when we tickle her
- How when she smiles really big, she scrunches her nose up, and you can see her dimple and all her teeth
- Has 4 molars, 4 top teeth, 2 almost 4 bottom teeth
- How she stands on her tippy toes
- How she sets things up on the kitchen counter
- How obsessed she is with straws
- How she “trust falls” off the changing table into my arms
- How she says “baby” and “ball” over and over again
- How she’ll lift up your shirt and point to your belly button if you ask her where your belly button is
- How independent she is – she’ll rip her hand out of my hand if we’re walking
- Her temper tantrums that are sometimes just hilarious, she just falls on the ground into the fetal position
- How much she loves walking into her classroom in the morning
- How she runs towards me smiling when I pick her up in the afternoon
- How much she loves reading books to herself.
- How she’s learned to climb up on the couch, and loves to run and bounce on it, as much as we tell her NO!
- How she yells “dada!!!” at the top of her lungs
- How much she loves riding on top of Daddy’s shoulders
- How much she loves her toy dog kennel
- How much she loves carrying things like her purse
- Her pterodactl screams and screeches
- How at bedtime, she likes to pick out a million books, and procrastinates as much as she can
- When we say our prayers together before I lay her in her crib, sometimes she lays her head on my should and wraps her arms around my neck
- Her epic splashes in the bathtub
- How she’ll fall on the ground randomly and throw the most ridiculous temper tantrum
- How much of a copycat she is, monkey see monkey do
- How much she loves to do crafts – coloring, watercolor painting
- How she loves to help me load the dryer with her own toys and blankets
- How she “helps’ daddy carry Truckee’s dog food to her
- How she likes to carry as much as possible at one time
- How she “powders her nose” with her play makeup
- How she’ll say “hi” on the phone
- How she’ll say “yo-ee-yo–ee-yo” over and over again
- How she’s obsessed with finding her shoes, and trying to put them on
- How she twists her fingers above her head when she hears “the itsy bitsy spider…”
- She started saying “Noooo” right after 18 months
- When Adam farts really loud and she tries to mimic it by blowing a raspberry
- When she eats crunchy lettuce, she scrunches her nose and chews as loud as possible
Basically, months 15-18 have been some of the best months of my life. We love you Adeline!! If you want to read more mushy posts about my little child prodigy, you can read them all HERE.
**Giveaway alert – if you have not entered my Keepsake $50 giveaway, I’ll be announcing a winner TONIGHT! Be sure to enter HERE!