Well, I’m about two weeks late posting Adeline’s one year update, but I figured I can’t deny it anymore, she’s well on her way into toddler-hood! WHAT!
I can’t believe we’re already past her first birthday, it still just blows my mind. I could go on and on about how amazing this year was, and how much I love Adeline, but honestly, this mama is so tired and I feel like I’ve already grieved the fact that my baby is no longer a baby.
By this point, I think I’ve accepted that she’s one. We survived our first year and I just feel like more and more everyday she becomes my little sidekick and it’s so much fun! This is such a fun stage we’re in, and I’m loving every second! She keeps me so busy that I don’t have time to be sad that she’s not itty bitty anymore! (But really I am, and we won’t talk about how much it makes me want to cry!)
Taking these pictures was literally the hardest thing ever. They didn’t turn out great, which I expected, but they do perfectly capture how on-the-move she is! I’m not sure who was sweating more when we were finished. Err, when I gave up. Our monthly updates are officially over, and the next one you see will be the big 18 months!
Let’s get to her update…
At her one year well check, she weighed in at a whopping 19lbs 9oz. She’s a little on the petite side, but no surprises there! She was also 29″ long, so this puts her in the 25% for weight, and 46% for height.
She’s still in size 3 diapers, size 3 shoes (or 6-12 mo), and is wearing a mix of 9-12 mo/12 mo/12-18 clothes. 12 mo clothes definitely fit her best at the moment, but depending on where they’re from, she can still wear a few that are smaller or bigger. Not going to lie, she got some super cute 12-18 mo clothes for her birthday and I can’t wait for her to be able to wear them!! Fall/winter baby clothes are ADORABLE!
- Lots the same as last month, plus…
- Pointing at everything
- Cracking up laughing at Truckee
- Leaning and pulling on Truckee
- Dropping her pacis out of her crib
- “Running” through the house on daddy and laughing hysterically
- Lining up her ducks on the tub during bathtime
- Sleeping in
- Sitting and climbing on her anywhere chair (after her birthday)
- Her little white rocking chair
- Playing with her wooden puzzle she got for her birthday
- Eating her favorite foods
- Clapping to “If you’re happy and you know it…”
- Snuggling at bedtime after her bottle
- Guzzling water from her sippy cup (she LOVES water!)
- Touchy-feely books
- Chewing on the our tv remote
- Crawling and cruising super fast (she started walking a week after her birthday)
- Eating breakfast in the morning with mommy before daycare/work
- Staying home with mommy 1-2 days a week
- Taking 2 hour naps in the morning
- Sitting on front porch steps and playing with her pumpkins
- Favorite word or sound to say is mama-mama-mama over and over again
- Being over tired
- When she’s trying to climb on Truckee and Truckee moves suddenly
- When we take too long to prepare her food
- Sitting through an entire church service
- Being held when she doesn’t want to be held
- Being sternly told no and catching her off guard
- Getting stuck in small spaces or corners where she can’t weezle her way back out
- Sleeping (she’s usually a great sleeper but she’s had a few rough nights and nap times lately)
- Being picked up when she’s playing with her toys and she throws a huge fit
- When we take away her snack catcher of puffs/cheerios
- Having a diaper rash (but who would??)
- First time experiencing a full October! Best month of the year!
- First pumpkin patches (Gentry’s, BoBrook)
- First two teeth!!!! Finally! Her two bottom teeth started popping through the first weekend of October.
- First time meeting my Aunt B and Uncle E (her great great aunt and uncle)
- First funeral/visitation – she was so good during my grandfather’s services
- First time wearing her fall clothes (last year she was just wearing jammies!)
- First time visiting Mawmaw’s new place
- First time celebrating daddy’s birthday
- First Razorback game watch party
- First time wearing her rain jacket
- First long stroller jog with mom on the river trail
- First time having goat’s milk and cow’s milk
- First time falling into her bathtub (long story!)
- First Halloween (after her first birthday)
Our current routine is pretty much the same as last month, with the exception of a few mornings start later than others depending on how late she decides to sleep in until.
Routine wise, I’m still sending her to daycare most of the week, and keeping her home with me 1-2 days depending on what my work load is like. Having her home that 1 or 2 days is so worth the chaos though!
A typical day is usually…she wakes up around 7 or 7:30, we eat breakfast and watch GMA, if I take her to daycare I’ll drop her off around 8:30, if not, she’ll play and hang out until time for her big morning nap and first bottle around 10 or 10:30. She’ll usually sleep for about two hours, if I’m lucky. One day recently she napped for 3 hours and it was amazing! But, most days (when she’s home with me) it’s like 10:30-noon(ish), maybe 12:30. Some days earlier, some days later. She’ll eat lunch around 1 or 1:30 usually, either with me or at daycare, then have her second bottle around 2 or 2:30 then go down for another nap that’s usually about an hour. BUT, if she took a short morning nap, sometimes her afternoon nap is the longer one. (Daycare though – you can count on short and random naps. Ugh) After this afternoon nap she’ll play until dinnertime, which is usually around 6 or 6:15. Then bathtime is 6:45 or 7, then bottle and she’s usually asleep in her crib by 7:30.
I mentioned this above in her schedule, but I’ve recently transitioned her from 3 small bottles during the day to 2 larger bottles during the day, and of course her bedtime bottle. I’d started to realize that she’ll nap so much better if it’s right after she takes a bottle, and since she eats a good lunch, there was really no need to give her a bottle every 3 hours anymore. So, I’m trying to do a bottle around 10 and 2/2:30, then her bedtime bottle. In her two daytime bottles she gets 6-7 ounces of milk, and her bedtime bottle is usually 8-9 ounces.
We also dropped formula a few days after her first birthday! She went through one half gallon of goat’s milk, then we started her on organic cow’s milk. Which is where we are today! I won’t go on my cow’s milk soapbox, but whatever, it’s fine and she likes it so that’s that.
Solids wise, she’s been doing good! She can be a little picky sometimes, but I think it’s more a matter of maybe her gums hurting, or just not being hungry. Her favorites include: cantaloupe, banana, peas, corn, chicken apple sausage, scrambled eggs, bagel, rice, tomatoes, yogurt (as of today), puffs dipped in salsa (blame Adam on that one), guacamole, roasted squash and zucchini. We’re trying really hard to get her used to eating good things, but I know the picky toddler days are soon ahead of us!
Things I Want To Always Remember
- How sometimes she giggles before she falls asleep
- How sometimes before she falls asleep she’ll stroke my fave with her hand like she’s trying to memorize it
- The sound of her laughing at Truckee
- When she and Adam laugh together
- When we catch her feeding her food to Truckee and she thinks it’s hilarious
- How she picks up her little bites of food with her thumb and index finger
- How snuggly she is some nights after her bottle
- How she’ll sleep with her butt up in the air
- How when she walks she looks like a little drunk person (still working on it, but doing good so far!)
- How much she loves her anywhere chair
- How quickly she pulls her bows out
- How cute she looks with her two bottom teeth!
- When she gets on her tippy toes to either reach something, or see over something
12 Month Favorites
Kids Colonial White Rocking Chair
PotteryBarn Anywhere Chair
Melissa & Doug wooden puzzles (similar)
VTech Click & Count Remote
Happy Birthday Little Pookie
Custom Wooden Name Puzzle (similar)
Philips Avent 6-18 Mo Pacis
Bloomies Handmade Bows
Zaney Zoo Activity Cube
Nuk Sippy Cups (similar, still trying to convince her to like other kinds!)
We love you Adeline!
Thank you for sharing in our first year of parenthood, and for putting up with TWELVE baby updates! If you want to really recap Adeline’s first year, she has her own hashtag on Insta, of course! There’s only 451 to look through, eek!