We’re 6 weeks in to this second baby gig and I’ve definitely learned a few things along the way. Most notably, I’ve learned what items I really love and need. My goal with baby #2 was to try and be a little more minimalist with our baby gear and stock piles of everything else so I didn’t end up with a ton of extra baby clutter on top of all of A’s toys. With A, I think we had a dozen different muslin swaddle blankets, and with B, I think a bought a pack of 4 and that was it. Less is more this time around!
I think I’ve determined what most of my newborn must haves are for a second baby, and figured I’d share some of my favorites. In the world of all things baby, there’s a lot you just don’t need, but every item on this list I would buy again and again! And remember this is just based on my experience, so take it or leave it!
All Things Breastfeeding:
- Huggies diapers
- By far my favorite affordable diapers. They’re super soft, have a slight cutout for the umbilical cord, and the back has elastic for extra stretch so you can get a perfectly snug fit.
- Copper Pearl swaddle blankets
- Velcro swaddles – Halo sleep sack or Ollie
- Just want to say this…the Ollie swaddle is a miracle worker!!! Trust me on this.
- Extra soft heavy blanket (not pictured)
- Cuddling and nursing sessions are so much sweeter with an extra soft blanket. Plus, the added weight of a heavier blanket works magic in helping baby fall asleep! I LOVE B’s minky fur longhorn blanket, and so does he.
- Gas drops
- Burts Bees burp cloths
- I’ve tried MANY types of burp cloths but these are by far my favorite! They’re thin and flexible but ultra absorbent for cleaning up lots of spit-up. Which we are pros at now!
- Aden & Anais Burpy Bibs (not pictured)
- These burp cloths double as bibs because they can be buttoned in the back. They form the perfect drape over baby!
- Vibrating bouncer
- Rock n Play
- Wrap or Ergo carrier
- I love, love my Ergo, but have also become a believer in the Solly wrap. It takes some time, a little bit of voodoo magic, and a whole lot of patience to figure it out but once you do it’s AMAZING. (This coming from someone who thinks ALL wraps are ridiculously confusing…so don’t let that deter you!)
For Mom’s Sanity:
- Chicco Natural Fit silicone pacifier (not pictured)
- We use Avent Soothies or a Wubbanub in the early days of nursing when we’re establishing a good latch, but I’ve recently switched to a paci that’s a little more orthodontic-friendly on his mouth, if that’s even a thing. I love the orthodontic Avent pacis, but this Chicco one is my new favorite! And B loves it too!
- Surprise toys for big sibling, such as Melissa & Doug puzzles
- Having a few surprise toys up your sleeve for big sis or big bro will be a lifesaver on tough days!
- Readily available snacks
- Car seat sound machine
- Hulu & Netflix
- Backpack diaper bag (not pictured)
They See Me Strollin’:
- Old Navy Zip Front One Piece
- These are my favorite jams! They’re cheap, zip up, and have foot and hand coverings. I like to order all the colors available in multiple sizes!
In the Kitchen:
- Paper plates
- Save yourself the mess of having to do dishes for a few weeks and invest in a big collection of paper plates and plastic utensils!
There are many other things that could easily be added to this list, and different brands I know everyone prefers. I’d love to hear what YOU would add to the list!