So today as I was catching up on my daily blog stalking, and trying to think about what I would post today, I read a post over at Healthy Hayley that got me thinking.
Straight from Hayley, “The way I see it, if you are terrified to do something because you are afraid you are going to fail, you should absolutely do that thing.”
I think sometimes we all need to hear that. And for me, sometimes was today.
So, I made a little listy-list of some things that TERRIFY me but I want to make happen sooner rather than later. These are both running related, and real life related. Not that running isn’t real life, because if it’s not I’m getting jipped, but I mean like, job and real-real-life.
1. Complete my first marathon in under 4:29:15. Why THAT specific time? Helleerr, it’s Oprah’s time! Surely to goodness I can run a marathon faster than Oprah Winfrey. I’ve accepted the idea that I CAN complete a marathon (special thanks to all of YOUR encouraging words!) Now, I’m comin’ for ya Oprah!
This article on Run Lady Like makes running a marathon a little less terrifying: Tips For the First Time Marathoner.
2. Run a half marathon in UNDER 2 hours. Preferably around the 1:50 mark. To me, that’s pretty dang fast! It would equate to approxiamtely a 8:30-9:00/mile pace. According to my most recent 5K’s, this should be MORE than doable. But, I haven’t tried long distance yet at my new pace, so we’ll see how that goes! A sub 2 hour half marathon still seems pretty fast to me so I’d love to be able to say I’m a sub-2 hour half marathoner!
3. Now that I’ve met a new 5K PR, I’ve got the bug and I’m itching to now beat THAT. But, it scares me because the course I PR’d on is known as one of the fastest in the country. So, am I still capable of running that same time on a flat or slightly hilly course? Who knows! But I’d love to try sometime! If and when I get my next 5K PR, I’m hopeful that I can finish it in style like this guy.
4. Attend a blogging conference. Yep, terrifying! Anyone else agree? Well, I’ve caught the blogging bug. I’ve always loved it, but now I REALLY love it. It’s the perfect creative outlet for me other than photography. I have so many ideas running through my mind and there’s a vast sea of things I am dying to LEARN about the world of blogging. I’m trying to make myself learn at least one new thing a day. Hey, by the time computers are irrelevant I’ll have at least dented that sea of information! I like what Pat Flynn mentioned about this in his post on “The Only 100 Words You Should Read Today.” I think attending a conference would be highly beneficial, and worth every penny.
I’ve heard GREAT things about Fitbloggin’, and would love to attend that sometime! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that next year’s is a wee bit closer than this year’s Portland location 🙂 I am however, seriously considering attending Bloggy Boot Camp this fall in Dallas. It’s put on by the Sits Girls and is affordable, within driving distance, and sounds like a BLAST! There’s also the BlogHer conference, and the Healthy Living Summit. One of these days Pig, one of these days.
P.S. If you’re as interested in fitness blogging as much as I am, you might find this article on The Current State of Fitness Blogging to be interesting.
5. One day learn the secret to working full time from home a reality, and be able to pour every ounce of my creative juices into my blogs and photography business. What a dream that would be. Wait, that IS my dream! This absolutely 100% terrifies me. If I could take the steps tomorrow to work towards this goal I would, but I’m scared to death to take that plunge! I would be the happiest girl in the world, but until that dream becomes a reality I will work my butt off to at least try!
My ultimate dream is to be a SAH or WAH mom and I’m determined to get there one day. I know what skills and talents I’m most passionate about and best at, and it kills me that I feel like I’m still wasting hours and hours and hours working at something I’m not. Maybe it’s my entrepreneurial personality coming out, but I have so many things I want to do if I just had the time to get out there and DO them! HA. Don’t we all. I’ll save that list for another time. But one of those things includes Truckee. I would feel silly sharing that idea right now though 🙂
6. Teach a basics of photography lesson/workshop. I’m not an expert, and I certainly don’t know HALF of what the experts do know, but I feel like I know enough and love it enough to be able to share my knowledge with beginners. But, would I feel stupid trying to do this? Would anyone even WANT to learn how to use their DLSR camera from ME?
7. Quit drinking diet coke. Yep. I’m terrified of breaking up with the ‘ole DC. DC and me go WAY back, and I’m not sure how well I can break that bond! I’ve tried in the past. I really have. But it just keeps coming right back to me and I can’t help but get addicted again! I KNOW how bad diet soda is for you, ESP for a runner, so why is it so easy to keep putting it in my body? The world may never know.
And there you have it folks. 7 things that currently “terrify” me. Here’s to taking the steps to conquer those fears, take the initiative, and GET STUFF DONE. Life is too SWEET to not do the things you LOVE the most.
Tonight I’m feeling like a few miles on the treadmill will fit the bill quite nicely. It’s once again about 98 billion degrees here so I’m opting out of running outside. Plus, it’s girls night and I’ve got a date to attend to post-run!
If you haven’t already done so, Sweet Miles is all hip and trendy and on BlogLovin! I would love it if you followed me! I’ll do my best to follow you back 🙂
HA. Remember that one? Love Ya Like A Sista? How COOL were we in the 90’s??
Anyways, TTYL! *silently cracking up at my desk…too much coffee.* LOL.
What’s something that terrifies you? What is your dream job? Are you as addicted to Diet Coke as I am?