I’m slowly but surely getting back to feeling like myself, and looking forward to some spring and summer racing! Here is what my calendar is looking like so far:
1. Toad Suck Daze 10K – May 3 – Conway, Arkansas
2. MacArthur Park 5K and Jog Dog – May 9 – Little Rock, Arkansas
3. River City Ministries 5K – June 28 – Little Rock, Arkansas
4. Firecracker Fast 5K – July 4 – Little Rock, Arkansas
I might add a 5K in towards the end of April, but this month is BUSY! Whew! I’m committing to only racing short distances this summer, and really want to improve on some PR’s. I’m thinking my next half won’t be until October.
To start preparing to race again, after my much unwanted bout of Bronchitis, evening runs are back on! Thank. Goodness. I’m itching to get my speed back! I’ve been running a little bit lately, but think I’m finally ready to actually train again. And to help me train, I’ve recently met my long lost running twin!
For real guys, where has she been all my life?! I can’t even begin to tell you how much we have in common, it just blows my mind. But I know God puts people in your life for a reason, and I’m ecstatic to have a training partner!
I’m 99% of the time a solo runner, and have always truly enjoyed training by myself. Honestly, training by myself hasn’t been that bad! I’m disciplined enough to make myself do the work, scatter brained enough to zone out on runs and not think about the milage, and I’m hard enough on myself to push myself to go faster. But man, long runs can get lonely! And those days when you really aren’t in the mood to run…it can be tough! Am I right?
I’ve got several friends here I can run with, but I just haven’t met anyone that’s as passionate about running as I am. In fact, they’d have to be a pretty rare bird to think the same way I do and be able to talk about running for hours on end, and be as excited about races as I am. Well, lucky for me, this chica is! Praise! Now, I don’t have to beg Adam to listen to me go on and on about races 🙂
Last night we met up at Big Dam Bridge for a short run, and it was wonderful. Cool, crisp air, beautiful sunset, and a good workout. She just got a new Garmin, so after a few technical difficulties we got the thing working.
Running at sunset in the summer is one of my favorite things. It’s the perfect way to unwind, and really take in the views. Ah, I just love it.
I’ve decided I might be a fan of running with a friend.
5 Reasons Why I’m a Fan of Running with a Friend
1. You can talk, and lose track of how far you’ve gone. Side note – this is going to take some practice. I’m not used to trying to make myself talk and run at the same time, so my lungs were not very appreciative of this new effort.
2. It’s safer. I’m a small girl, so the idea of somebody swooping in and hauling me off would not be impossible. But, when there’s two of us? Good luck, buddy!
3. You can discuss important matters. Like how turning 25 was the WORST thing to happen to our running careers. Everyone knows 25-30 is one of the hardest age groups! At least in 20-24 I stood a chance. But really.
4. You are much more motivated and can be held accountable. I don’t want to be the one that makes us walk! (Except for last night…I’ve been sick ok, geeze!)
5. You can learn from each other. Like, did you know your shorts had 5 pockets? Did you know stretching is probably actually a good idea? Big lessons folks.
Basically, two are better than one, and having a training partner will make you a stronger, faster runner!
**The WINNER of the Ignite Naturals InRefresh Electrolyte Drink Mix Sample is…Marie!**
Congrats Marie! Send me an email with your address, email@example.com, and I’ll get it right out to you!
Do you train solo or with a friend? Tell me why! What is your spring/early summer racing schedule looking like?