When I think about what I want my New Years Resolution to be for 2017, it’s hard to pinpoint just one thing. It seems to be more common these days to pick just one word, or one theme rather for the new year, but I always end up coming back to a list of more specific goals I want to accomplish. Of course I want to be present, and simplistic, and happy, and find joy in everyday, but I also want to be productive, and grow, and work towards bigger dreams. If we’re being honest, it’s definitely tough to keep up with a longer list of goals, or resolutions, and often times we forget about them by March. I am determined though to hold myself accountable, and check in a little more often. I’m naturally very goal oriented, and always seem to have a to-do list. My plate is always overflowing, and my schedule always seems full. That’s just how I operate. I thrive on staying busy, and juggling multiple roles. To better get my head on straight for the new year, I’ve sectioned out my goals, for each part of my life.
- Not just remember that our marriage is our number one priority, but make it our number one priority. There are a million different ways to do this, but we’ll just stop with the bigger umbrella statement.
- Make time for more date nights, without Adeline. (And be more proactive about taking people up on babysitting offers so we can enjoy some time alone!)
- Be more patient, forgiving, and respectful. It’s amazing how the stress of young children can really take a toll on your relationship with one another. I want to dedicate this year to taking a little extra time for relationship maintenance, and remember why we make such a great team in the first place.
- Be even more present. I want to really work on putting my phone down more when I’m with Adeline. Social media can wait, and that cute picture doesn’t have to be Instagram’d right this very second.
- Stop thinking so much about the future, and stop saying “I can’t wait until…”. How many times do we catch ourselves saying that?? I want 2017 to be about the here and now with Adeline. Her first year flew by in the blink of an eye, and I want to do my best to make sure year 2 doesn’t pass me by before I’m even done writing this blog post! Adeline is the light of my life, and I want to savor every single millisecond of her childhood.
- Let her be. As a first time mom, it can be so hard to let go and let her be independent and learn things on her own. I don’t want to think that she’s big enough to do all these new things, but she is, and she needs that freedom to figure them out on her own. In 2017, I want to take a step back, watch her discover new things, and embrace every moment of watching her learn and thrive. I want to work on letting go of my anxiety, and trust that she will be fine.
Photographer/Small Business Owner
- Continue to shoot 1-2 sessions a month. This seems to be the perfect amount of sessions a month right now, and much more than that and I start to feel like it takes too much time away from Adeline. I’ve had a few months where I shot 4-5 sessions, and it was just too much. That extra income sure is nice, but it still means extra weekend hours away from my girl.
- Continue to promote myself, and be proud of my business. I’m not just another mom with a nice camera. I am a photographer, and I know how to take excellent photos. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t be proud of that, and take my business seriously.
- Finally purchase a new 35mm lens.
- Post 3-4 times a week, and share more personal/real life content.
- Respond to comments within 2 days. (Comments are my weakness!!)
- Join another ad network. I was so bummed when Mode crashed and burned, but I haven’t really taken the time to pursue joining another one. I’ve run a few rogue ads to buy a little time, but I really need to take the plunge again. Although, it has been nice having a little extra white space around here.
- To piggy back off this, I also have some big goals in mind for growing my readership. I don’t like to share readership numbers on the front end, but 2017 is going to be about continuing to grow Sweet Miles into my favorite little corner of the internet.
- Actually get dressed, and do my hair/makeup most days. This can be so, so hard to do working from home!
- Work with the attitude that a promotion is just around the corner. Because if you don’t feel like you’re working towards a goal, it can be so easy to burn out!
- Be more outgoing, make a greater effort to get to know more of my coworkers. Again, tough as a remote employee, but there are plenty of opportunities to make it happen!
- Get back into, “I feel strong and sexy” shape before getting pregnant again.
- I feel most like myself after a great workout, and the ~2 years of pregnancy/newborn stage really did a number on my self-care. I feel like I am finally getting back into a rhythm, and feeling confident again, and I want to make sure I give myself a few months to feel like ME again before we jump on the second child bandwagon. For me, being a strong mom for Adeline includes being physically strong, and emotionally fit, both of which seem to go hand-in-hand with the more time I dedicate to exercising, and taking care of myself. Now that I’m not breastfeeding, I can’t even begin to tell you how much clearer my head, heart, and hormones feel, and I’m honestly not ready to give that up again.
- I want to run at least one 5k, and one 10k, and continue to tighten and tone all over.
- Make downtime. Most days, I tend to morph into the energizer bunny and don’t stop until I can’t hold my eyes open anymore. But in 2017, I want to make it a priority to give myself downtime. Whether that means taking time to go to bed early a couple nights a week to read a book (I have at least 3 on tap I am dying to read!), or putting all technology in the other room and sitting down with Adam for a quick game of cards, I want to make sure I create this time. I need this time to recharge my batteries.
- Not compare our lives, with others’ lives. Our life is perfectly us, and playing the comparison game will only rob us of our joy. God has us right where we need to be.
- Pay off all of Adam’s student loans, and continue to plug away at our car payments.
- Move and purchase our long-term home.
- Take a BIG trip to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.
- Other than said anniversary trip, I want to travel less. We burned UP the road in December and I am really hoping to stay put for a while.
- Bonus Goal: EMBRACE THE MESS! Our living room constantly looks like Hurricane Adeline ripped through it.
All in all, I want 2017 to be about being the best version of myself, for me, and for others.
What are some of your goals for the new year? What are you working towards? Did you pick a theme or are you like me and have several smaller goals?