Am I the only one who sometimes gets sick of their overly played Spotify playlist? Or annoyed that their favorite Pandora stations seem to play the same songs every time? I’ve found the solution, mainly thanks to my husband. Enter: Podcasts!
I used to think the idea of listening to a podcast sounded like A. ridiculously boring, B. one step above talk radio, or C. something only “adults” do. However, I have truly been proven wrong, and have LOVED our daily podcast listening, typically on the way to or from work. Bonus, if you’re headed out for a long run, an episode from one of these podcasts would definitely keep you entertained!
If you need a place to start, here are the podcasts we’ve been loving over the past few months, and are currently listening to on a weekly basis! I’m not going to mention Serial, because I think the Serial wave has already been ridden. However if you have never heard of Serial, I HIGHLY suggest you make that the FIRST podcast on your to-do list. Just trust me on this, you will love it.
Ok, let’s get started.
10 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To
1. Undisclosed – Featuring the same case as Serial, Undisclosed is actually a small group of lawyers who are diving into the case even deeper. It’s kind of like the sequel to Serial you wished had happened, and the episodes feature shrouds of evidence not covered in Serial originally. It will blow your mind.
2. Criminal – This podcast features shorter episodes, but unlike Serial and Undisclosed, each episode is a totally different story/case. Criminal covers all sorts of stories of past crimes, criminals discussing crimes they committed, and even people who were wrongfully accused of a crime. We’ve enjoyed this one because of the diversity, and each episode really is so interesting! Sometimes I think I should have gone to school to be some sort of lawyer or detective, I love this stuff!
3. Invisibilia – “Invisibilia (Latin for all the invisible things) is about the invisible forces that control human behavior – ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions.” This podcast is fairly new, and they just wrapped up their pilot season, so they’re on a hold at the moment. But, we’ve enjoyed this one because it really makes you think about life differently, and just like it says, the invisible forces in life that happen every day that you don’t think about. Being a psychology major, this podcast is right up my alley!
4. 99% Invisible – Not to be confused with Invisibilia, this podcast is actually about design and architecture, and “the 99% invisible activity that shapes our world.” This one is great as well, but we have found ourselves skipping episodes here and there, so you kind of have to pick one that sounds good and go with it, instead of banking on enjoying each week’s.
5. TED Radio Hour – I. Love. TED. Talks. Technology, Entertainment, Design. TED talks are housed in TED conferences all over the world, and some of society’s brightest and most innovative people speak at them. They are always highly educational, motivational, and influential. I guarantee you will learn something listening to a TED talk! Anyways, TED Radio Hour is part of NPR, and I always look forward to a new episode!
7. Stuff Mom Never Told You – LOVE THIS PODCAST. This is totally aimed towards the girls, but, Adam has learned a few things from these episodes as well! The two hosts of this podcast are hilarious, and I want to be their best friend. I promise you will love this one. If you blush easily, you might listen to this one alone, ha!
8. Picking Favorites – This is probably Adam’s favorite podcast, mainly because his favorite actor is the host, Zachary Levi. (Chuck, Tangled). The concept of this podcast is simple – 4 or 5 dudes, sometimes a guest girl or guy, typically fellow actors, sit around and literally pick their top 3 favorites from random categories. It’s so fun to listen to, and I guarantee you’ll find yourself trying to chime in, or angry because HOW COULD THEY NOT PICK YOUR FAVORITE?!
9. The Art of Manliness – This one is actually based off of the popular and hilarious blog, artofmanliness.com. I’m not a man, clearly, but I have enjoyed several episodes of this podcast. There are several episodes that are very applicable to both men and women, and if you’re looking for a podcast both you AND your manfriend will enjoy, this is a good one.
10. This American Life – This one is like ‘ole faithful. It’s always good, and you can’t really go wrong with any episode. Also, if you love Fred Armisen like I do, you will chuckle every time you hear the host speak. This American Life is literally just stories, of real people, and it’s so good.
Honorable mention: Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.
So there you have it! 10 of our favorite podcasts. Now get to listening!